Sexing Electric Blue Rams

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by Qwankadank, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Q

Qwankadank New Member Member

I just bought the little guys about a week ago and been doing some more research on them, I've noticed them bumping heads a little bit but I'm not sure if its territorial or them trying to get along. I"m not sure the sex on them, I've done my research but it seems that one thing rules another out on both of them. One seems more mature then the other that i believe might be male but there's no telling for me.
    image2.jpg image1.JPG

2. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

These are not easy but sometimes you can sex Rams on shape alone. I'm pretty sure these are both female. (Body shape, head shape, bottom fins).

:)

3. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

I am no Ram sexing expert, but that bottom picture looks like a male to me, but I could be wrong. Still pretty hard until they mature.

4. OP
    OP
    Q

Yeah they are still pretty much juveniles I got the smallest ones they had. I keep saying both male both female too lol I guess I'll have to give it time and see what takes shape.

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore Qwankadank! I would agree with hampalong, female, both of them.

6. OP
    OP
    Q

thanks, i'm loving fishlore already, tons of information as im semi new to aquariums. they do both look to have slight red bellies. my only worry at the moment is they tend to fight a bit when on same side of the tank although get along at the same time.

7. OP
    OP
    Q

Update: So after posting here and since they were fighting i decided they both had to be the same sex. I brought the top EBR to the fish gallery and showed him both pictures, he came to the conclusion they are both probably females also. He swapped her out for me for a male. She is trying to play with him but he aint having it right now being new to the tank, but thought id update you guys and give some pictures in case other people need help they have a reference.

IMG_0434.JPG Male
    IMG_0436.JPG Both
    image1.JPG Female

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice