Sexing Electric Blue And Gbr

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by Jessi, Jun 21, 2018.

1. J

Jessi New Member Member

Can anyone help me sex these two rams? I was trying for a boy and a girl, but I think I may have two boys on my hands. Because of the black back ground its hard to see the extensions, but both fish have slightly longer dorsal fin extensions.

FYI - I know the GBR does not look super colorful right now. Also the tank is being treated so the water is a tad colored.

Attached Files:

2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Both are male.

3. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Never go by fin lengths. They’re bred to have long fins, almost all of my females have dorsal extensions. These pictures are inconclusive. The EBR are really hard to sex. The only sure way is breeding tubes.

4. OP
    OP
    J

Jessi New Member Member

Can you please tell me where and what I am looking for as far as the breeding tubes go?

5. AquaticJ

Sure! The breeding tubes are located on the bottom in between the anal and pelvic fins. Males will have small, sharp, pointed tubes. The females will have larger, rounded tubes. Here’s my female Black Ram so you have an idea. I circled her tube.

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    J

Jessi New Member Member

Oh man. That feels like a long shot for me to determine that, but I'll keep an eye on them. I am not sure if my GBR is big enough for me to even see those well. I was trying to determine if I needed to get a female or two more in a month, but the two are currently doing great together, regardless of gender, so maybe it doesn't matter? I don't care about breeding, I just read that most people think couples tend to be happier and less aggressive (like I said, mine currently are not aggressive).

7. AquaticJ

How big is the tank? If it’s at least 29 gallons you shouldn’t have to worry about two males together. If you could get some more pictures I can help you. Preferably when the regular one is colored up.

8. OP
    OP
    J

Jessi New Member Member

It's a 65 gallon with a few plants, lots of driftwood and lots of hides

Also, if it would safe, I wouldn't mind having a female golden ram. But I value peace in the community first and foremost, and they are currently peaceful. I will try in the next few days to get more pics, but fish can be hard to photograph! Really appreciate the help too- Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    J

Jessi New Member Member

IDK if these will help but here are some more pics. They are so hard to photograph.

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP
    J

Jessi New Member Member

And some more:

Attached Files:

11. coralbandit

coralbandit Well Known Member Member

Both female 80% IMO …
    With a 65g you would be safe with 4 more .
    The color has no bearing on compatibility as they are all Microgeophagus ramirezi , just different color strains.
    I find for sexing you need to combine all the 'factors' to just guess by looking. For me comparing size to others is pretty effective . Males are generally much larger until the ram is 1 year plus then the female may catch up some .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice