55 Gallon Tank Sexing convicts

Aquagirl1978

So I gave in to my MTS AGAIN and purchased another 55 gallon tank that I'm setting up and starting to cycle as we speak. At any rate my LFS had pink and grey convicts. The pink ones almost look like jellybean parrots except for the heads. And of course the gray ones look like the typical convicts. I will be purchasing a pair of the grays once my cycling is complete. I would really like to get a pair but don't know how to sex them. I asked the woman at the fish store and she said the males have a red orange spot on their side and the females dont. She also said that since these ones are only about 6 months old its still hard to tell. There were a couple in the tank that had a nice red orange spot. Others have told me its the fin shape (like gouramis) if its pointed its a male and if its rounded its a female. Does anyone on the forum know for sure or have some better advice for me??

btate617

Very easy to sex at an inch or so, the femlaes have the orange belly and the males do not.

Brian

Aquagirl1978

Ok thanks I will now know what to look for. They were in with JD's which I already have a pair of in my existing 55. Do all of the american cichlids get along or can they be like the africans and become more aggressive over time? And when mature, will these cichlids interbreed????

Tony G.

I know Shawnie has kept convicts with africans succesfully, this being because the convicts can actually hold their ground with the africans. The JD's and convicts will also be ok, but I am not sure, they could pair off and terrorize each other, I am not sure of the behavior of the JD while spawning but the convicts are really territorial. From what I know American and African cichlids could breed with a different species (american and african will not breed though) and that's how Hybrids are born.

btate617

Aquagirl1978 said:
Do all of the american cichlids get along or can they be like the africans and become more aggressive over time? And when mature, will these cichlids interbreed????

No not all cichlids get along regardless of where they come from, most is trial and error.
Also most all cichlids do get more aggressive as they mature, depending on the species will depend on how aggressive they are. Cons will breed with quite a few fish, they don't seem to be picky. However when the have another of their own kind to pick from they will usually do so.

Brian

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom