Sexing Convicts

badger

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know how to sex them, but will young ones, like store baught .5 to 3/4 inch convicts be able to be sexed or is it gonna be a **** shoot. Im interested in acquiring a breeding pair, but want a young pair.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have seen convicts that could be sexed at about an inch.
They were females that were starting to color up.

Dino

badger

Valued Member
Reaction score
hmm... but i mignt buy one thinking its male(due too the lack of color) but come to find out it is just a female who was too small to have gotten that orange/pink on her stomach, so a little bit of luck will be involved.

what about some of the other methods, males are said to have longer, more flowing, and pointier fins, would this be apparent at this young of an age?

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The color difference appears sooner than the finnage differences.

dino

badger

Valued Member
Reaction score
K thanks, went too the lfs today and Im pretty sure I could tell. Thanks for your help

kanesta1

Reaction score
i have two mating pair in a 75 gal they chase all the fish and they are always battling they started spawning about 5 inches away from each other one set had there young already on loses they or doing a great job expecting the other set any time this week my other cichlids or fine just making clear they stay away from the war zone and this is all happening while I'm cycling the tank water condition ain't so great but they are breeding with no problem so you really shouldn't have a problem good luck.

heidi74

Reaction score
Hi,i have what i thought was a pair of mating convicts but apparently i could be wrong!!One of the pair is much smaller than the other with an orange mark on her stomach and the other is twice the size but also has orange on it but the fins are more extended than the smaller one.Now you see my confusion.Since rearranging my tank they have taken up residence in one of the ornaments.The larger one cleaned it out,spitting all the small pebbles from inside it and both are in and out like nobodys business and chasing all other fish away.My major confusion is that both fish seem to have like a sac next to the analfin(the larger ones is approx 5mm long and the smaller on only approx 1mm).
Could anyone please help as someone else told me that these could be both female???????

drumbum540

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had the same trouble but I just searched all around the lfs and finally found some that were about 1 inch long maybe bigger. good luck breeding! and do you have other fish in your tank?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom