Sexing Convict Cichlids?? Question

Discussion in 'Convict Cichlid' started by SuperD14, Jul 17, 2019.

1. SuperD14

SuperD14Valued MemberMember

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which of these is the male? I believe it’s the calico one but the pink one has long fins like a male.

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

The second Convict looks to be female. The red coloration on the belly area is a female trait. I need a better pic of the albino.

3. OP
    OP
    SuperD14

The calico is offspring of the albino, the albino colourstion is immense, nearly the whole stomach and all of the stripes go orange when breeding.

4. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

I've never kept an albino Convict. Sounds like a fun fish to watch.

5. OP
    OP
    SuperD14

The albino convict and her new “boyfriend” who she appears to be courting with ALREADY.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The “father” of the babies who bred with the albino convict.

[​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    SuperD14

Any ideas anyone??

7. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I've never seen an actual albino Convict, but that is not an albino. It is a Pink Convict, a color variety that lacks black markings on the body. Note that the eyes are still black. Some people call them leucistic, but that is also an inaccurate label. The correct name for that genetic condition is oligomelanic, which means "reduced black".

There are strains where males have a great deal of color, but they still act like males guarding the territory while the female sits on the eggs. It should also be noted that many of our aquarium convicts are hybrids of 2-3 different species that are very closely related.

8. OP
    OP
    SuperD14

What I’m struggling to understand is that the pink convict has previously bred with a calico convict who was about 4/5 inches long and had a large kok on his head, leading me to believe he was the male. Also, the pink convict is the one who spent her time in the cave with the eggs while the large calico stayed outside. The large calico had little to no orange and blue on him. However the offspring they produced is the one the pink has bred with in which both partners have strong colours.

9. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

This is a wild male of Amatitlania siquia I received 5 years ago. He was scared in this photo, when he got comfortable he was as colorful as his mate, in the next photo. I even had one male that I mistook for a female because of his color.
    siquia male.jpg
    Pr2 siquia female02.JPG

This is one of the species that was commonly bred with A. nigrofasciatum; another is A. species "Red Point". Convict strains that have been in the hobby for 100 years mostly have the color bred out of them, but some people line bred for color, and collections from Central America in the last 30-40 years have brought back a lot of the natural color of these fish, as well.

10. OP
    OP
    SuperD14

Considering mine are calico and pink I can imagine they were bred for colour