Sexing Bristlenose Pleco

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Balkaran0006, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Balkaran0006

Balkaran0006 Valued Member Member

Hey I was just wondering if anyone can help me out with sexing my albino bristlenose pleco?? It's 2.5 inches long. I know that it can be quite hard to sex them at this size, but was wondering if someone could give an idea on what they think it might be. I personally think it's a female but not sure. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    Not an expert on Plecos, but I would believe that this is a male, I could be wrong though.

It will be much easier to sex him/her once he/she grows bigger.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think you'll likely need to wait until it's a bit bigger. If I had to guess, I'd guess male because the bristles look like they're coming in. Females can have short and few bristles, but since it is getting them this young, I would guess male.

4. OP
    OP
    Balkaran0006

I agree that I should definitely wait until it's bigger but was just wondering if anyone would give me an idea.

5. OP
    OP
    Balkaran0006

Uh that sucks. Hopefully it's a female as I already have a male. But time will tell. Thanks for the reply

6. Soocold

Soocold Well Known Member Member

I actually guess female from the slight bulge in the stomach area, I agree it needs some more growing to tell. If it starts getting bristles up the head it's a male

7. OP
    OP
    Balkaran0006

Yeah i was thinking the same thing. But it's still quite young so it could be a male. Thanks for the reply.

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Could just be a well fed male. I have a male Peckoltia, but he's a little plump because he's well fed (not to the point of being overfed, thankfully - that's bad!).

9. OP
    OP
    Balkaran0006

That could be the reason. I feed veggies usually every other day and algae wafers on the day he doesn't get veggies. He also sometime eats the shrimp pellets I feed my cories !!

10. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

At this point I would say female because there are no bristles on the top of the snout.

11. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

The body shape does look like its female. But as other members have posted it could just be well fed. I would wait a few more weeks. Hopefully she's a female so you can get a pair. They're really easy to breed.

12. OP
    OP
    Balkaran0006

Yeah definitely hoping it's a female!! I haven't ever bred the before but know they are very easy to breed!!

13. OP
    OP
    Balkaran0006

[​IMG]
    Here's a picture of it's under side

14. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

It kinda looks like my juvie. With some bristles coming out but I can't tell the sex as well. We're just gonna have to wait :)

15. OP
    OP
    Balkaran0006

Yeah it's definitely still young. Just so hard to wait until I can determine what sex it is!!

16. m

mbkemp Valued Member Member

I have a year old male that looks just like that. Several spawns make it easy on my end. My males are also more dominant at a smaller size

17. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I'd say male

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice