Sexing boesmani rainbows

Simbasrealdaddy

Reaction score
Has anyone tried venting a rainbow? I've got one clear Male, one clear female, and three I don't knows.
One of the unknowns, one most likely is a male, but the other two I just don't know. They look very plain and feminine sometimes and flash color other times. They were supposed to be female, but I'm wondering now if they are just under-colored males. Maybe a little young than the dominant male.
They are reaching sexual maturity now, so I need to figure this out and make a plan.

ImpairedFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Simbasrealdaddy said:
Has anyone tried venting a rainbow? I've got one clear Male, one clear female, and three I don't knows.
One of the unknowns, one most likely is a male, but the other two I just don't know. They look very plain and feminine sometimes and flash color other times. They were supposed to be female, but I'm wondering now if they are just under-colored males. Maybe a little young than the dominant male.
They are reaching sexual maturity now, so I need to figure this out and make a plan.
Females are more blue from what I was told and have read on other sites, give them a little more protein high diet and the colors should pop a little more. But the Males should have a deeper body than a female, at a juvenile age it's hard to sex them.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Simbasrealdaddy said:
Rainbows are not half as aggressive within the species as cichlids for example. There is no need to hurry. Except you want to breed and even then you don't have to do this fast.

Could you post a picture of the group?

New Threads