Sexing Blue Acaras

Ronoc94
So iv picked up two blue acaras today from my lfs and I asked them for one Male and one female. I'm just wondering which is which tbh.
20180506_155849.jpg
20180506_155853.jpg
20180506_155923.jpg
20180506_155931.jpg

yukondog
Can you get a better side view?

Ronoc94
Ronoc94
Youve all been a great help. Thanks.

coralbandit
EBA are pretty hard to sex IMO.
The female will look more white when she is getting ready to breed.
Other then that I still wouldn't know who was the alpha male even if he wasn't the biggest.
I have seven in my 180 and hundreds of offspring. It is a large small thing also ..Males are bigger..

Ronoc94
EBA are pretty hard to sex IMO.
The female will look more white when she is getting ready to breed.
Other then that I still wouldn't know who was the alpha male even if he wasn't the biggest.
I have seven in my 180 and hundreds of offspring. It is a large small thing also ..Males are bigger..

I only have two, and I specifically asked for one male and one female, the gentleman at my lfs took them out and examined them to make sure but I just wanted a second opinion. Theyre only about 2.5inchs long atm so it might be awhile before I see any definite signs of sexing.

One is already whiter than the other (not white, just pale) and the other is very vibrant. They are both typically the same size so ill assume the brighter ones the male.

Is that a safe synopsis?

coralbandit
I only have two, and I specifically asked for one male and one female, the gentleman at my lfs took them out and examined them to make sure but I just wanted a second opinion. Theyre only about 2.5inchs long atm so it might be awhile before I see any definite signs of sexing.

One is already whiter than the other (not white, just pale) and the other is very vibrant. They are both typically the same size so ill assume the brighter ones the male.

Is that a safe synopsis?
Yea pretty good guess.
Watch for bullying not like pairing..
Mine were well over 3 inches before they breed..I still had hard time telling who was who.

Ronoc94
Yea pretty good guess.
Watch for bullying not like pairing..
Mine were well over 3 inches before they breed..I still had hard time telling who was who.
They tend to swim beside each other theyre always within 10 inchs of eachother.

Fashooga
Lchi87 probably knows this.

Sarah73
I really don't know. Hard to tell with the pictures

Ronoc94
I really don't know. Hard to tell with the pictures
Ill provide some more within an hour

Lchi87
Easiest way to tell will be their breeding tubes when they’re this young. Eventually the male will develop a nuchal hump, just not as prominent as with other species of fish. Color and size aren’t always indicators of gender. My male is smaller than my female ( who turned a navy blue when she was ready to spawn) was and he was also much lighter colored.

Males will have tiny pointed tubes; females will be larger and blunt at the end.

Edit:

Male:

5B91D520-80A3-478E-9E07-EFB8CB76AB48.jpeg

Female:

C032BA74-5BC7-4EC1-883F-149288CF58E6.jpeg

Ronoc94
Easiest way to tell will be their breeding tubes when they’re this young. Eventually the male will develop a nuchal hump, just not as prominent as with other species of fish. Color and size aren’t always indicators of gender. My male is smaller than my female ( who turned a navy blue when she was ready to spawn) was and he was also much lighter colored.

Males will have tiny pointed tubes; females will be larger and blunt at the end.

Edit:

Male:
View attachment 445531

Female:
View attachment 445530
The first two photos are one and the 2nd two photos are the other. Would you be able to confirm that I have one male Nd one female?
20180609_201543.jpg
20180609_201536.jpg

Ronoc94

Edit:

Male:
View attachment 445531

Female:
View attachment 445530
2nd Eba
20180609_201604.jpg
20180609_201602.jpg

Lchi87
If I had to guess, I’d say both are male lol.

The 2nd one mighttt be female though. If it is female, her body shape will round out when she fills with eggs.

Ronoc94
If I had to guess, I’d say both are male lol.

The 2nd one mighttt be female though. If it is female, her body shape will round out when she fills with eggs.
When would that happen? Just wanna know because I wanted to see them spawning.

Lchi87
When would that happen? Just wanna know because I wanted to see them spawning.
Not sure! You can’t really force two fish of the opposite sex to pair up (even though that is what usually happens but not always). But as they mature, you’ll get a better idea of what you actually have. If they do in fact pair off and are ready to spawn, they’ll start cleaning off a site to lay eggs on together and right before the female lays eggs, her tube will get HUGE.

FishyChild

F907E0A1-030C-48F0-8EF3-48A7BE9F5A3F.jpeg
D9FFC8EA-3D63-45E3-AD34-AB6716D55120.jpeg I tried to get the best photos possible of all my electric blue acaras and I would like to know their sex. If possible could someone who is knowledgeable help me? Thank you! I’m pretty sure they are four different ones though I might have one photo of the same one as it is hard to differentiate them
290EFE98-2357-4935-BC9D-CF92E999BB66.jpeg

nikm128
From top down: male, female, male

FishyChild
How were able to tell?

nikm128
With 99% of fish, males and females will have different fin shapes. Females tend to have more rounded edges on their fins while the edges on males are usually flat, or come to a point on the outer edge.
If you remember which fish it is, another picture of the top one would help; it's at an odd angle so it looks female now that I look at it again.

FishyChild
I’m currently not at home so that wouldn’t be possible but thank you.

nikm128
Oh, got ahead of myself, didn't see it was four acras.
1. Could be either
2. Female in the front, possibly a male in the back, but it's a little hard to see
3. Male
Whenever it's possible more pics will help

JLeeM
Most breeders say that the only way to tell is by their breeding tubes. Which show best when they are already starting to breed.

FishyChild

36D3E455-03FE-4A48-AF57-42A812A9CA9E.jpeg Well I’m pretty sure the photo with the two acaras is male and female as stated cuz they just layed eggs.

nikm128
No way! Hope you're up for a bit of a challenge then.
AquaticJ any suggestions or anyone you know of that can help?

FishyChild
I know that they I’ll hatch in 3-7 days then be in the mamas mouth for another 3-4 days then after that food for them is a idk. They say bribe shrimp but I really do not want to go out and special order stuff that I have to hatch to feed. Do you think they can go off of just really well grinded flakes?

nikm128
AquaticJ
Never kept them, sorry

coralbandit DarkOne

DarkOne
EBAs aren't mouth brooders so they just dig pits everywhere and move the fry every day or two. If you plan on raising the fry, you'll need another tank. A really big one. I moved mine from a 20 gallon after 2 months to a 75 gallon before selling them.

FishyChild
I’ll talk to my local fish store where I got them, he will probably be more informed than me about what to do.

FishyChild
They are in a 90 gallon already tho, but their tank mates would most likely eat em.

DarkOne
I set up a new 75 gallon to grow them out.

DSC_3831.JPG

coralbandit
Females get dark on head and whitish on sides when breeding.
I would say the fish over the eggs is female,

FishyChild
Someone in the tank ate the eggs because there are no more eggs.

nikm128
Probably the other two acras, is there anything else in the tank?

jmaldo
FishyChild
Nice looking EBA.
Your title caught my eye since I am a newbie to keeping EBA. Have to defer to coralbandit and DarkOne on sexing.

eIHgJIR.jpg
Good Luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
schmalzy_x0
Replies
Views
Ronoc94