Sexing Blue Acaras

Ronoc94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So iv picked up two blue acaras today from my lfs and i asked them for one Male and one female. Im just wondering which is which tbh.
20180506_155849.jpg
20180506_155853.jpg
20180506_155923.jpg
20180506_155931.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
EBA are pretty hard to sex IMO.
The female will look more white when she is getting ready to breed.
Other then that I still wouldn't know who was the alpha male even if he wasn't the biggest.
I have seven in my 180 and hundreds of offspring. It is a large small thing also ..Males are bigger..

Ronoc94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
coralbandit said:
EBA are pretty hard to sex IMO.
The female will look more white when she is getting ready to breed.
Other then that I still wouldn't know who was the alpha male even if he wasn't the biggest.
I have seven in my 180 and hundreds of offspring. It is a large small thing also ..Males are bigger..
I only have two, and i specifically asked for one male and one female, the gentleman at my lfs took them out and examined them to make sure but i just wanted a second opinion. Theyre only about 2.5inchs long atm so it might be awhile before i see any definite signs of sexing.

One is already whiter than the other (not white, just pale) and the other is very vibrant. They are both typically the same size so ill assume the brighter ones the male.

Is that a safe synopsis?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ronoc94 said:
I only have two, and i specifically asked for one male and one female, the gentleman at my lfs took them out and examined them to make sure but i just wanted a second opinion. Theyre only about 2.5inchs long atm so it might be awhile before i see any definite signs of sexing.

One is already whiter than the other (not white, just pale) and the other is very vibrant. They are both typically the same size so ill assume the brighter ones the male.

Is that a safe synopsis?
Yea pretty good guess.
Watch for bullying not like pairing..
Mine were well over 3 inches before they breed..I still had hard time telling who was who.

Ronoc94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
coralbandit said:
Yea pretty good guess.
Watch for bullying not like pairing..
Mine were well over 3 inches before they breed..I still had hard time telling who was who.
They tend to swim beside each other theyre always within 10 inchs of eachother.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Easiest way to tell will be their breeding tubes when they’re this young. Eventually the male will develop a nuchal hump, just not as prominent as with other species of fish. Color and size aren’t always indicators of gender. My male is smaller than my female ( who turned a navy blue when she was ready to spawn) was and he was also much lighter colored.

Males will have tiny pointed tubes; females will be larger and blunt at the end.

Edit:

Male:
5B91D520-80A3-478E-9E07-EFB8CB76AB48.jpeg

Female:
C032BA74-5BC7-4EC1-883F-149288CF58E6.jpeg

Ronoc94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lchi87 said:
Easiest way to tell will be their breeding tubes when they’re this young. Eventually the male will develop a nuchal hump, just not as prominent as with other species of fish. Color and size aren’t always indicators of gender. My male is smaller than my female ( who turned a navy blue when she was ready to spawn) was and he was also much lighter colored.

Males will have tiny pointed tubes; females will be larger and blunt at the end.

Edit:

Male:
View attachment 445531

Female:
View attachment 445530
The first two photos are one and the 2nd two photos are the other. Would you be able to confirm that i have one male Nd one female?
20180609_201543.jpg
20180609_201536.jpg

Ronoc94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lchi87 said:

Edit:

Male:
View attachment 445531

Female:
View attachment 445530
2nd Eba
20180609_201604.jpg
20180609_201602.jpg

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If I had to guess, I’d say both are male lol.

The 2nd one mighttt be female though. If it is female, her body shape will round out when she fills with eggs.

Ronoc94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lchi87 said:
If I had to guess, I’d say both are male lol.

The 2nd one mighttt be female though. If it is female, her body shape will round out when she fills with eggs.
When would that happen? Just wanna know because i wanted to see them spawning.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ronoc94 said:
When would that happen? Just wanna know because i wanted to see them spawning.
Not sure! You can’t really force two fish of the opposite sex to pair up (even though that is what usually happens but not always). But as they mature, you’ll get a better idea of what you actually have. If they do in fact pair off and are ready to spawn, they’ll start cleaning off a site to lay eggs on together and right before the female lays eggs, her tube will get HUGE.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom