Sexing Angels

Airth

These are the best pictures of my 4 babies that I could get. I've never seen them that still. lol
I haven't seen breeding tubes on any of them so this is going strictly off of physical characteristics.

I'm thinking I have 3 females and a male but any other opinions are welcome. =)

The largest (Persephone- solid gold) is about palm size. I rescued her (?) from petsmart at about quarter size after seeing her there for about a month. Her top fin was badly torn and she was missing a ventral fin; both of which have since grown back.

image.jpg

The second largest are Charles (marble veil tail) and Petey (gold with black spots photobombed by Percy). They're both slightly smaller than Percy. I brought both home from Petco at quarter size. Charles was getting chased horribly in his (?) tank and Petey (Little Rascals reference) was also missing a ventral fin which has grown back.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The smallest is Fate (gold and black veil tail) who also came from petsmart. She (?) was the only one in the tank and looked a little battered and lethargic. She was about nickel size when I got her and has since grown (a fair bit slower than the other 3) to between quarter and half dollar size.

image.jpg

Aquaphobia

It's my understanding that telling the gender of angels is only ever a guess until they actually spawn, in which case my guess would be boys for the first 2 pictures and girls for the last 2. You might be able to see other characteristics in person that I can't on my phone.

To give you an idea, my angel Eddy was tentatively identified as a male by experienced members here and she's now a mother!

Airth

lol Yes, I know they can be quite difficult to sex until spawning. I was tentative to name them because of that but it wouldn't be the first time a little lady ended up with a masculine name; I have a female cat named Todd.

By your guesses, I assumed 3 genders correctly. lol Thank you for the second opinion. =)

bizaliz3

Your angels are too small to even guess a gender. And as mentioned, the only time you will know for sure is if they spawn.

I had an angel that everyone insisted was female. But then HE fertilized the eggs of my female. This male had so many female characteristics that a member on here STILL didn't believe he was male even after he fertilized the eggs.

I'm not willing to even venture a guess on yours because they are too young and small, and the photos are not very clear.

edit: now that I re-read your post.....maybe the angels are bigger than I thought. But I would still need clearer pics to venture a guess. And even then, I think the "guess" would be a 50/50 chance of being correct!!

edit#2 I would guess Male for the first one....

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AlyeskaGirl
  • Cheetahstar101
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
Betta Splendid 1
Replies
Views
aliray