Sexing Angelfish

1. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

How do you sex Angelfish??

2. TayJay76 Member Member

If your wanting to sex some you must first have a pair. You'll know that two of them are a pair if two angelfish are always next to eachother and do not fight. You will want the ph to be around 7.5, increase the tempurature to about 80 degrees if it isn't already.

They are a easy fish to breed, all you really need is a pair and the rest if cake. They usually like to lay their eggs vertically on either a filter tube or even diagnally on a rock or somthing.

Here is an article from this site that has more info on breeding them: https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/BreedingAngelfish.htm its by Jay Shaw.

Hope this helps, good luck;)

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I have two angelfish that always hang around each other and do not fight. That does not necessarily mean it is a male or female. does it??

4. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Not necessarily Wendy, but it is a good sign. How long have you had these angels? Immature angels will stick together, but once they mature, their cichlid nature becomes obvious.

If you post a picture of each angel, there are some physical traits that can indicate one sex or the other; but these traits are not a definitive means. I have one angel that is over 2 years old that I am still not sure which sex it is!! I has never spawned.

The only way to be 100% sure of the sex of each angel is to see them spawning. The female papilla will be thick, blunt and cone shaped; and the male is tiny in comparison and triangular shaped.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I have only had the angels 6 months, I keep them with 2 German Rams, and 2 German Blue Balloon Rams. They hang around together, but that could just because they are young I guess.