Sexing a powder blue gourami

• Thread starter celizabethh3
  • Start date

celizabethh3

I got this bad boy (or girl) at PetSmart and I was wondering if you guys would be able to sex it for me. I've tried researching it on my own but because it's a dwarf I'm a little confused.

I imagine (s)he is a little stressed from being netted out of the store's tank (the girl had a hard time catching this one) and then being put into a new tank. It currently lives with some danios, black skirt tetras and platys.

Pictures aren't the greatest and I'm hoping it will colour up more, unless it proves to be female. Either way, I love this fish already.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404090827.069105.jpg

Before being released into my tank.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404090791.253932.jpg

A few hours after being released. The picture does no justice, but there is still orange/red lining the fins. I think it's hard to tell because my tank is already so brightly coloured, it makes the DG look pale in comparison.

Even so, I think it might be female but would love for someone more knowledgable than I am to weigh in.

Claire Bear

Well Known
Hi, if there is orange on your fish-it is a boy. Girls are similar but are not as brightly colored nor do they have the orange. Looks like male to me.
Note: This does not look like a powder blue but a Neon blue, imo-they have the orange coloration along with the blue.

celizabethh3

claireputput said:
Hi, if there is orange on your fish-it is a boy. Girls are similar but are not as brightly colored nor do they have the orange. Looks like male to me.
Note: This does not look like a powder blue but a Neon blue, imo-they have the orange coloration along with the blue.
Good to know he might actually be a neon. He doesn't quite have the colourful body stripes but maybe he'll grow into them yet. I can't always trust my LFS (which had him labelled as a powder blue) so I'm glad I have this website to come to. Thanks!

TKDennison

The first pic definitely looks like a male to me. The second one shows some gorgeous coloring!

Jim

Well Known
Most of the DGs that I see in the box stores are all males for some reason.

celizabethh3

I guess he's male then. Thanks everyone!
JI'm some of the other gouramis they sell are listed as being all males but for some reason the "powder blues" weren't.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
All the females of the DG-variaties are brownish / colorless. One exeption : neon ones. They are very hard to sex (this one too). I am afraid these are two males thoughs. If so they'll probably fight till one is killed.

celizabethh3

DoubleDutch said:
All the females of the DG-variaties are brownish / colorless. One exeption : neon ones. They are very hard to sex (this one too). I am afraid these are two males thoughs. If so they'll probably fight till one is killed.
Don't worry, it's just one lone gourami. His orange colouring was more prominent when he was bagged still that's why he looks like a different fish in the second picture.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
celizabethh3 said:
Don't worry, it's just one lone gourami. His orange colouring was more prominent when he was bagged still that's why he looks like a different fish in the second picture.
Huh are you serious ?? Is this the same fish and did I misread hahahaha. Never seen such a difference.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
I am amazed !!!

hollie1505

Well Known
wow! what a difference! such a beautiful fish...

I hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread, but it's exactly the same thing and it seems daft to start another thread. I bought this 'female cobalt blue dwarf gourami'

GetAttachment (12).jpg

but is it female at all? i'm pretty sure she's a he! thanks guys x

Attachments

celizabethh3

DoubleDutch said:
I am amazed !!!
When you catch him just right under the light, the orange is much, much brighter. Even today he is starting to show some orange stripes on his body.

celizabethh3

hollie1505 said:
wow! what a difference! such a beautiful fish...

I hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread, but it's exactly the same thing and it seems daft to start another thread. I bought this 'female cobalt blue dwarf gourami'

GetAttachment (12).jpg

but is it female at all? i'm pretty sure she's a he! thanks guys x
Thank you. It's amazing what a change in lighting can do!

And I don't mind at all. Does your gouramI have any orange on his/her body? I'm new to gouramis but as mentioned above, males seem to have orange/be more colourful.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
This is a neon one to me. No red / orange colors on those.
Hard to tell the gender. I think it's a bit bloated though.
But I can be wrong again !!!

hollie1505

Well Known
I think the light on the picture makes him look bloated, I've never seen him bloated in real life. I know the gender doesn't matter I was just intruiged... I bought a female that we call He!x

Top Bottom