Sexing A Pair Of Blyth Trifasciata

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by hanra85, Jul 10, 2019.

1. hanra85

hanra85Valued MemberMember

Fairly new to Rainbows still, trying to figure out if I got a male/female or two males here. I know the one on the right is a male, hoping the one on the left is a female but I wanna be sure it's not just wishful thinking or too early to tell or something
    IMG_20190710_014627.jpgIMG_20190710_014610.jpgIMG_20190710_014852.jpg .

2. RobM

RobMValued MemberMember

Put a mop in the tank and see if you get eggs :)

3. OP
    OP
    hanra85

There's a mop I left in there but unfortunately I also bought a trio of parkonsoni the week before so they're all going through quarantine in the same tank at the moment. I wouldn't be able to tell who they're from, I know I have male and females of those, maybe in a month when they're all cleared to go I'll leave these two in a bit longer to see if anything happens.

4. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Males are deeper bodied, and more colourful, especially the red in the fins. Looks like you have a pair, imo. The male is already starting to show his red.

5. OP
    OP
    hanra85

Thanks, that's what I thought too and was hoping for, although size wise they might not be at the same age for directly comparing to one another and also not sure whether the dorsal fin still has growing to do or not but it was the best bet with they had available so here's hoping. If not they're still gonna be beauties once they get ontop of that black sand in their future home.