Sexing a molly?

Wardonianfungus

I have a beautiful creamsicle molly but but sure if it’s male or female

Disglerio

I think male, that analfin looks pointy to me. But I am no expert.

Wardonianfungus

I think it’s male as well but I’m still not completely sure

emeraldking

Definitely a male. It´s started to show the male characteristics. Look even at his dorsal which is changing into a larger dorsal. So, not just the analfin that´s changing into a gonopodium. The shaping of his gonopodium is not totally done yet if I look at these pics. No doubts...

Wardonianfungus

Okay so when I’m looking for a female, I don’t want the pointy analfin, and large sail?

e_watson09

Well a couple things. In sailfin mollies yes the male generally (not always) has a much larger top fin. Any other type of molly that is not always the case.

Livebearers the most accurate way to tell is by their back fin under their tummies. Females will have a round "analfin" males will have a gonopodium which is a pointy fin. If you follow this link it should take you to a photo showing the difference. This is true for other type of livebearers as well (guppies, platy, molly, swordtails)

Wardonianfungus

Ok, thanks! Next time I go to my LFS, I’m getting another molly.

emeraldking

Wardonianfungus said:
Okay so when I’m looking for a female, I don’t want the pointy analfin, and large sail?
For this type of molly... yes! Look for an adult female not a very young looking specimen. For even mollies can show the male or female characterics pretty late. Young males will still have the shape of a female. And I don't mean just the analfin but also the body shape. Depending on the kind of molly, the dorsal may grow out just like e_watson09 has already mentioned.
e_watson09 said:
Well a couple things. In sailfin mollies yes the male generally (not always) has a much larger top fin. Any other type of molly that is not always the case.

Livebearers the most accurate way to tell is by their back fin under their tummies. Females will have a round "analfin" males will have a gonopodium which is a pointy fin. If you follow this link it should take you to a photo showing the difference. This is true for other type of livebearers as well (guppies, platy, molly, swordtails)
What you're saying about the analfin only goes for juvenile (young adulthood) and adult ovoviviparous livebeares but not for viviparous livebearers. And the analfin of an ovoviviparous female livebearer is more edged in comparison to a viviaprous female livebearer (which is more round). Juvenile and adult males of ovoviviparous livebearers have a gonopodium but males of viviparous livebearers have an andropodium.
Here are some illustrations from my own website about livebearers:

Most people are familiar with ovoviviparous livebearers.

And mind that the shape of the gonopodium of several males of ovoviviparous livebearers does differ. Which enables or disables them to crossbreed with an ovoviviprous female livebearer of another kind. The genitals of both genders (regardless of what kind of ovoviviparous species) should be compatible in order to mate. Otherwise, an actual mating won't take place.

Wardonianfungus

emeraldking said:
For this type of molly... yes! Look for an adult female not a very young looking specimen. For even mollies can show the male or female characterics pretty late. Young males will still have the shape of a female. And I don't mean just the analfin but also the body shape. Depending on the kind of molly, the dorsal may grow out just like e_watson09 has already mentioned.

What you're saying about the analfin only goes for juvenile (young adulthood) and adult ovoviviparous livebeares but not for viviparous livebearers. And the analfin of an ovoviviparous female livebearer is more edged in comparison to a viviaprous female livebearer (which is more round). Juvenile and adult males of ovoviviparous livebearers have a gonopodium but males of viviparous livebearers have an andropodium.
Here are some illustrations from my own website about livebearers:

Most people are familiar with ovoviviparous livebearers.

And mind that the shape of the gonopodium of several males of ovoviviparous livebearers does differ. Which enables or disables them to crossbreed with an ovoviviprous female livebearer of another kind. The genitals of both genders (regardless of what kind of ovoviviparous species) should be compatible in order to mate. Otherwise, an actual mating won't take place.
Thanks. Without those pictures I wouldn’t have known what you were saying at all.

Wardonianfungus

Well now I’m hoping that it’s a girl because it looks pregnant

lazaruslewis

100% male

Wardonianfungus

Yeah, it just pooped and looked normal again. I don’t know and can’t figure out why it was so fat, but it lasted about a day

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom