Sexing A Honey Gourami Question | Page 2

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by newbettaboy12345, Apr 4, 2019.

1. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Sunset Thick Lip was created by hybridizing with Honey Gourami. If you get a male Sunset, you will see a very dark burnt orange, almost brown, body color. The body shape is tapered to the back, while Honeys are more rectangular.

Sunsets have a lot of variability because they are hybrids, but selective breeding has produced some specific lines. Generally, however, few are really line breeding to maintain a specific shape/size/color.

2. Zai Well Known Member Member

Had no idea they did that. My petsmart has "sunset gouramis" and now im wondering if that's what they really are. I'll have to see if my lfs has any true honey's. Any way to tell them as part better? Im getting a trio for my 29gal.

3. firesflightt Well Known Member Member

OP, do you remember what you bought them as? how big are your gouramis?
    honey gouramis are colisa/trichogaster chuna, and thicklips are colisa/trichogaster labiosa. if you go to chain pet stores, they should have those names on the tags somewhere.
    though i believe OP got theirs from a LFS, right?

4. newbettaboy12345 Valued Member Member

Hi! They were both sold as honeys

5. newbettaboy12345 Valued Member Member

I agree, after seeing the sunset, i think they are sunset gouramis, i returned one to the store, do you think i should return the other one too as itll overstock my tank once it grows.

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Being hybrids they won't get as large as "normal" thicklips.