Question Sexing A Honey Gourami

newbettaboy12345

Valued Member
Reaction score
So, im quite confused as both gouramis seem to be colorful, but one has a rounded fin. Also, one of them seems to be aggressive, should I add another one ? Or get rid of the other one?
IMG_4732.JPG

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you post a picture of both? A pointed fin is male and a rounded fin is female. If the male is aggressive to the female buy another female or get rid of the male.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Apparently, it also depends on whether or not they are 'natural' Honeys, or a strain that are bred for their specific colours. I just got 2 'natural' females - they are both much less yellow than the male. If the ones you have aren't the 'natural' ones, it may be harder to tell just based on their colour. Also, when stressed, their colours may fade, so if you've just gotten them, they may still be adjusting to their new home Pics of both might help, if you can.

windrunner9189

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes he is what can i do about it ? Do i get a breederbox until i can decide what to do ? The male has made a bubble nest under the frog bit which may account for the aggression ?
what is the temperature? they are more inclined to breed at higher temps.
it is mostly recommended to keep 2 females to 1 male to balance out that aggression, so all that harassment isn't limited to 1 female.

there isn't any biting, right, is it just chasing? if he's relentlessly chasing her, you should probably separate them for a while.

newbettaboy12345

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh, that may be it! The temp is set to 30 as im treating for ich! Yup just chasing

After the temp is brought down after 6-7 more days ill make a decision then, but before that i think ill just put one in a breeder

windrunner9189

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh, that may be it! The temp is set to 30 as im treating for ich! Yup just chasing

After the temp is brought down after 6-7 more days ill make a decision then, but before that i think ill just put one in a breeder
ok, yes i think that would be the best option. treating ich should be the priority.
the male may still chase at lower temps, but the behavior can reduce. sometimes it varies gourami to gourami, see how he reacts after you turn down the temperature later on.

FishMommer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I have two I am wondering about also. When I was searching online for info, I noticed the females can also have that more brownish color happening. They are both nice looking! Good luck!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure why someone hasn't allready pointed this out, but those are both females, and they are not Honey Gouramis. They are Sunset Thick Lip Gouramis. They get larger than Honeys, and both sexes can be a little more aggressive. Often sold as "Sunset Honeys" because stores tend to label things under the name they were shipped with. Wholesalers/shippers intentionally mislabel them because Honeys are more desirable in the hobby than the Thick Lips.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure why someone hasn't allready pointed this out, but those are both females, and they are not Honey Gouramis. They are Sunset Thick Lip Gouramis. They get larger than Honeys, and both sexes can be a little more aggressive. Often sold as "Sunset Honeys" because stores tend to label things under the name they were shipped with. Wholesalers/shippers intentionally mislabel them because Honeys are more desirable in the hobby than the Thick Lips.
Do you think they might be hybrids ?

FishMommer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Often sold as "Sunset Honeys" because stores tend to label things under the name they were shipped with. Wholesalers/shippers intentionally mislabel them because Honeys are more desirable in the hobby than the Thick Lips.
Makes sense. I think there were some mislabed at my store. Not labeled Honey but Assorted Gourami. Thankfully I asked and they put me in the direction of the Honey. Cheaper too. I still think they look like a male and a female, but what do I know. Maybe I have 2 girls or boys too? To me the lighter one's fin looks more angled vs. rounded and while the coloring is hard to tell, the rounded finned one looks more brownish still? Also I have heard the males may look a bit more tapered. The females a little more rounded belly? And they tend to be larger. I think that is the case with mine. Also they look young like mine. I can just now see that mine is starting the get a bit of color (less distinguishable at first) on his bottom fin. I was worried there was something wrong and did some research. So maybe in time your will show some color difference too? Have only had the male 3-4 weeks? And the other almost a week.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom