Sexing a Gourami

Kandi1957

So I have these 2 gorgeous pearl gouramis and they are still pretty young. I think I have a male and a female. Getting pictures is hard!!!! So if the general consensus from you all is male and female, should I make a breeder tank for them, dim the lights and a little candlelight and wine and see if they do the deed? I have them in a community tank now with killifish, fancy tetras and lyretail somethings and a honey gourami so I will probably need to put them in a tank alone? My tank is mainly artificial plants with some driftwood and river rocks.

Attachments

DoubleDutch

To me the top one is a female and the other one a young male I'd say.

They have to mature first and they won't breed that easy ("candlelight and wine" will definitely be needed). First enjoy these beautiful.fish.

DollyDolly

First one female and second one not quite sure. If its mating season one will show bright red under the chin.

Kandi1957

DollyDolly said:
First one female and second one not quite sure. If its mating season one will show bright red under the chin.
That is what my thought was too. Top female and bottom male. They are probably 5 months at the most. Ibdo enjoy them. I also have a tiny honey gourami too.

DollyDolly

Kandi1957 said:
That is what my thought was too. Top female and bottom male. They are probably 5 months at the most. Ibdo enjoy them. I also have a tiny honey gourami too.
How long have you had them? Feeding them well will show color. Also the less stressed and more comfortable they feel makes sexing easier. I have a male and female but they havent bred. Havent tried to breed them quite yet either

Kandi1957

DollyDolly said:
How long have you had them? Feeding them well will show color. Also the less stressed and more comfortable they feel makes sexing easier. I have a male and female but they havent bred. Havent tried to breed them quite yet either
I got thrm in June from the LFS. They eat really well..bloodworms, veggies etc. I think they are about 5 months. They have grown a lot since I got them. Im not going to try and breed them but if they do it or show signs then i will put them in a different smaller.tank.

Top Bottom