Sexing A Betta

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Does she have a white dot under her gills sort of near her belly? I think I see one, but that would be an egg spot meaning she is a female.

Also I would move the temp down to 78. 81 is a little too high.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How long have you had her? If there’s an egg spot(behind ventrals on stomach) then it is likely a female, although it may just be a false one if shes a young male. The body looks a bit closer to a male to me as well considering the stomach is close to the same size as the rest of the bottom half.
You likely will not be able to get an accurate sex until she’s around 3 months though.

Dustinleephil

Reaction score
I don't see a white dot, but she's translucent, and I just turned the temp down, I read that 82 was good for growth, you find so much mixed information out there!

I've had "her" a week, I don't really mind if she's a male or female, I did want to have a sorority in my 20g though

Any idea how old she is? She looked younger than the other babies at Petco, they looked more juvenile

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe they’re typically around a month or less when they are sold as babies. I’d keep the temp at 82, any higher is a bit to high for bettas(temp range 78-82) long term.

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dustinleephil said:
I don't see a white dot, but she's translucent, and I just turned the temp down, I read that 82 was good for growth, you find so much mixed information out there!

I've had "her" a week, I don't really mind if she's a male or female, I did want to have a sorority in my 20g though

Any idea how old she is? She looked younger than the other babies at Petco, they looked more juvenile
If “she’s” a male then he might attack the bettas in your sorority! Unless you want more fry

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Male Betta fish will generally have long dorsal (top), ventral (bottom), and caudal (tail) fins. Often 2-3+ times their body height. The dorsal and caudal fins will often droop due to their length. Female Betta fish will typically have shorter fins about as long as the Betta is tall or shorter. Female Betta's ventral fin may often resemble a hair comb.
Courtesy of wikihow

Males typically have bright colors. Females do not. Females tend to have subdued or dull colors, especially in the body. Bright blue, green, and red coloration in the body and fins is a good indication of a male Betta.
Both male and female Betta fish have aggressive tendencies. However, male are typically more likely to engage in aggressive behavior. When you place a mirror beside or in your Betta's tank, your Betta will see another Betta. Males will likely stretch or flare their gills to show dominance. They may even try to attack the mirror.
  • Female Bettas will sometimes flare to show dominance too. However, they do so with less determination. Males tend to become obsessed with the fact that another male is near them.
Males also do bubble nest Courtney of wikihow

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Seeing as this fish is light colored you should be able to see the pale yellow ovaries if it is female. It will look like a skinny triangle tappering off towards the tail.

See how this white betta’s belly has a tint of yellow? That’s the ovaries.
16DE171E-CDD0-42BB-A0A6-FF828FFCA659.jpeg

Egg spots arent the best way to sex bettas, I’ve got a few juvenile males with egg spots which will eventually go away as they mature.

I think if you post another clear picture in a week or two you will get a decent guess on gender.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If I had to take a guess I'd say male based on the body shape, but I think you're right that he/she is too young to sex accurately.

WhatsUpGuys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
An egg spot is usually a very small white dot on the underside of the belly. Here’s a few girls from my sorority. It may be a bit harder to see on a light bodied fish but look for it.

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

WhatsUpGuys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
IMG_1323.jpg

Ovipositor is circled in red, ovaries are outlined in blue (it would look like a little orange triangle)

Dustinleephil

Reaction score
Here are some new photos of "her" I hope Pearl is an okay name for a boy. She has been moved to a five gallon tank, which will probably be her permanent home if she turns out to be a boy.
IMG_20180502_020444.jpg

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Last pictures clearly says male, as for fin type can you count how many times a single ray in the tail splits?

One split means VT while more than one usually means HM or delta. If he were a CT the rays would already have the charactaristic look.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom