Sexing 5 week old guppy fry

Isalie

I have about 10 guppy fry who are 5 weeks old I Can start to see the gravid spot but i don’t know if all females develop them at this time. If i look at the Fins they would all be female. When Can you tell gender By their analfin?
Here are a few pictures (they just ate brine shrimp)

emeraldking

Those that are already showing a gravid spot are females for sure. It depends on the individual female when she starts showing a gravid spot. Having a gravid spot does not mean that they're pregnant, btw.
The age of a male regarding the transition of an analfin into a gonopodium differ per individual male. It can happen between 4-8 weeks in general but there are also male guppies that show a gonopodium at the age of 3 months. But last one mentioned are mostly late males and they're quite large (same thing that can happen with swordtails, platies and mollies).

Isalie

emeraldking said:
Those that are already showing a gravid spot are females for sure. It depends on the individual female when she starts showing a gravid spot. Having a gravid spot does not mean that they're pregnant, btw.
The age of a male regarding the transition of an analfin into a gonopodium differ per individual male. It can happen between 4-8 weeks in general but there are also male guppies that show a gonopodium at the age of 3 months. But last one mentioned are mostly late males and they're quite large (same thing that can happen with swordtails, platies and mollies).
Ah Thank you that clears up a lot on the internet so many people say so man different things that I don’t know What to trust.

emeraldking

Isalie said:
Ah Thank you that clears up a lot on the internet so many people say so man different things that I don’t know What to trust.
I know that with several subjects you'll find several answers on the internet. A lot of them are just copied answers. To me that sounds the most easiest way but not always correct. And then you have to be careful to pass on such an answer in order to help someone out.
I'm dealing with livebearers for so long that I dare to say that it really differs per individual when the male or female characterisctics are definitely there.
There are also enough female guppies that show their gravid spot as a tiny dot after a few days of birth. It takes a trained eye but it's doable.

Isalie

emeraldking said:
I know that with several subjects you'll find several answers on the internet. A lot of them are just copied answers. To me that sounds the most easiest way but not always correct. And then you have to be careful to pass on such an answer in order to help someone out.
I'm dealing with livebearers for so long that I dare to say that it really differs per individual when the male or female characterisctics are definitely there.
There are also enough female guppies that show their gravid spot as a tiny dot after a few days of birth. It takes atrined eye but it's doable.
Yeah it get confusing sometimes mostly bc these are the first fry I have ever had. I do see Some females who have a gravid spot and are definitely bigger and some fry i suspect to be male bc they are smaller and don’t show a spot at all. I have also seen something about an iridecent shine or something but i don’t think i Will mess with that.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom