Sex Of Pleco?

JakeDfish

I have recently been wondering the sex of my plecos. It’s not urgent or important I’m just curious. But when I went to look it up it just told me the male is sleeker and a female is rounder. Does anyone have any experience in sexing plecos? I will leave pictures of my two below. If you need a certain view I can try and get it for you.

NC122606

JakeDfish said:
I have recently been wondering the sex of my plecos. It’s not urgent or important I’m just curious. But when I went to look it up it just told me the male is sleeker and a female is rounder. Does anyone have any experience in sexing plecos? I will leave pictures of my two below. If you need a certain view I can try and get it for you.
Can you tell me the type of Pleco? It helps a lot.

JakeDfish

Sure, as far as I know their both common plecos but they may have been sold with the wrong name. I am 99 percent sure they are common plecos.

NC122606

JakeDfish said:
Sure, as far as I know their both common plecos but they may have been sold with the wrong name. I am 99 percent sure they are common plecos.
I know they already told you this but the females are bigger and males are smaller. Also, the body should be wider.

JakeDfish

Ok, I will continue looking for that. Are there any other tips because I’m not sure if there the same age. The male could be older and therefore bigger. Is there any way to tell at a young age?

kallililly1973

Common plecos get enormous. Not sure the gender of yours but should be kept in a gigantic tank or pond.

Feohw

The best way to sex them is to look the genital papilla. Your profile says you have this and a dojo loach in a 20 gallon with other fish? These will both need a much larger tank.

JakeDfish

I am actually moving both the dojo loach and one of the plecos this week! What a coincidence! I only want to know the pleco gender because I want to keep a female if one of them is.

JakeDfish

If I need to get rid of both of the plecos because of tank size what is an easy algae eating fish that would work in a 20 gallon? I don’t want my fish to be unhappy I would rather find a different fish that would suite a twenty gallon better.

bizaliz3

Best algae cleaner is you!! ;-)

But if you are dead set on having a "fish" that will do it for you, the best bet for a 20 gallon is nerite snails. They are much better algae eaters than plecos in my opinion. And they don't leave you with piles and piles of poop!!

Plecos do more harm than good if their only purpose is to be a tank cleaner. They are quite the opposite!! But if you really love plecos and want a pleco because you like plecos...you could try a bristlenose pleco since they only get about 5 inches. But even a 20 gallon is pretty small for the bioload of a BN pleco honestly. A clown pleco would probably be best for a tank that small. If a pleco is a necessity....

The common plecos definitely need to go though (or be upgraded). They are already much too large for the 20 gallon and will be stunted if left in there. Those are not little babies there! I see you planned to move one...but they are both pretty large and shouldn't be kept in a tank that small. Even as a single fish.

JakeDfish

Ok I will move both. I recently learned that they were too big for 20 gallon as adults but I thought mine were still small enough that they could be easily kept in a 20 gallon. I will get a few nerite snails. I am not set on plecos. They just looked awesome when I got them and since they were eating algae I liked them in there. I will move both this week. Thanks for all the help.

ThePetPavilion

JakeDfish said:
If I need to get rid of both of the plecos because of tank size what is an easy algae eating fish that would work in a 20 gallon? I don’t want my fish to be unhappy I would rather find a different fish that would suite a twenty gallon better.
You could get like 8 otos. They will help with your algae. And mystery snails are nice. They are very underrated. They are awesome algae eaters.

JakeDfish

Ok I will keep Otos in mind. I don’t think I will get mystery snails though because I already have nerite snails. Thanks anyways. I might try otos also.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom