Sex of GBR??

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by tinks8400, Aug 3, 2015.

1. tinks8400New MemberMember

So I have picked up female GBR, as I have been sold the wrong sex before I want to ask ppl to comfirm this is a female?
    imageimageimage

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

I would guess female. But wait for other opinions that are more schooled in sexing rams.

The reason I'm guessing female is the colors are a bit muted, the front rays of the dorsal fin are not extended, and the black spot seems to have speckling on it.

3. OP
    OP
    t

tinks8400New MemberMember

Thanks I based my opinion on the same basis as you. Really hope it is a girl this time, the guy in the shop assured me it is a female

4. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I would say female as well, but hampalong and chromedome52 should be able to give you a better answer.

5. OP
    OP
    t

Thanks for your advice, my male has taken a keen interest in her and she has started following him too, fingers crossed they pair

6. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I would say that it is a small and not quite mature individual. I would not want to hazard a guess on sex until it's been fed for a week or two and "healthied up".

7. csawyer98New MemberMember

As it sits, I would say that it is in fact a female, however it's hard to judge by the picture whether or not it is mature enough to sex it accurately. Which is often the case with bettas, people will sell them as a female but they later learn that it was an undeveloped male. So that's a possibility too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

I didn't want to say anything because I wasn't sure either. I would have gone probably male, if pushed. But I would rather wait....

9. OP
    OP
    t

Thanks everyone, she/he is a lot smaller than my male, my male seems to be tolerating she/he, he would not tolerate my other male (sold as female). Thanks again for the advice I will keep a close eye on the both of them ☺

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice