Sex my Jacks

Discussion in 'Jack Dempsey' started by hdbikersbabe, Jan 5, 2013.

1. hdbikersbabeNew MemberMember

I have two JD's (in different locations) and I am wondering if they are big enough to sex. I also have smaller jacks and want to know how long until they grow enough to sex. They are growing very slow, almost as slow as my EBJD.

rsz_1img_2773.jpg

rsz_img_2799.jpg

Just in case these pictures don't work, here they are in photobucket.  

2. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Top looks female. Bottom looks male.

3. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I agree. The top definitely looks female and the bottom picture definitely looks male.

4. hdbikersbabeNew MemberMember

I am so excited. I can't thank you guys enough. If you have a chance can you look at the pictures in the photo bucket and tell me what you think of those baby jacks. What is strange is that the Male in this group is from the same hatching as the ones in the photo bucket. Not sure what my mom fed her fish but they grew like crazy.

5. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

First picture in you album is a female. Females usually have much more blue in the face. often under the gill and up the jaw. Not sure what the EBJD is but it looks nice.

6. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Also, what are you feeding your Jacks?

7. hdbikersbabeNew MemberMember

rsz_img_2783.jpg

What would make them grow bigger? These are still very small. Not sure why tho.

8. hdbikersbabeNew MemberMember

9. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

10. hdbikersbabeNew MemberMember

The regular fish food I use is called TetraMin Tropical Flake food. They don't get this as often as they do the beef heart flake. Your JD is GORGEOUS!!

Also I keep a close eye on my water because of the electric blue jack. I test regularly and alternate 50 and 25 percent water changes weekly.

11. hdbikersbabeNew MemberMember

If you want specific water parameters I'd have to do a sample, I know for sure that my nitrate, nitrites and ammonia are zero. The PH is approx 7.8 or a little higher. If you can see, the lil ones don't have a lot of color. I also use sand as a substrate and have live and fake plants. The regular jacks are separated by a divider from the electric jack because I lost so many prior. At least until I can try and pair them up properly without loosing anyone.

12. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I'd get off the flake! Pellets are far better. Flakes leach out their nutrients rather quickly once they hit the water. Pellets are much better at containing nutrients.

It's easy to spend a lot of money on fish food :D Depending on what you'd like to spend, you can get New Life Spectrum in most fish stores. I'd get New Life Spectrum Thera A. the NLS Cichlid is designed for Africans and has lower protein.

If you like to order food online, Chingmix Staple is awesome for growing fish out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHINGMIX-PR...410?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10f93302 I've bought from the same people as that auction. They are a store out of California. Ship fast, had no problems with them. The food is 50% protein, great growth booster :D

There is also Repashy Gel food. You get a powder that you mix with boiling water. This stuff rocks! Repashy meat pie would be good for your Jacks.  

13. hdbikersbabeNew MemberMember

I do have some of the NLS however, they don't seem to be able to eat it. It seems too big for their mouths. They work and work at it before they actually consume it. I will look into the other. Thanks for helping me.

14. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

NLS comes in many sizes. If my Endlers can eat NLS, I'm pretty darn sure you'll be able to get some for your babies :D

I love Dempseys. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

15. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

An EBJD is an electric blue jack dempsey.

16. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Yes, I know that lol
    I meant I don't know the sex. I saw the EBJD in the photo album.

17. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Definitely get off the Tetramin, that is one of the junkiest flakes out there. Nothing in it for a JD. I second NLS

18. hdbikersbabeNew MemberMember

My juvi jacks

Hello everyone, I have several pictures I'd like you all to look at, some for fun some for help.

I fear these babies are males. There are several pictures of the same fish I'll try to identify them.

IMG_2809.JPG
    Just a cool picture!

IMG_2810.JPG
    Trying to sex. (although there are several pictures, there are only 3 different fish, pictures 2 - 65)

IMG_2814.JPG

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_2818.JPG

IMG_2819.JPG
    Just another cool pic (picture 6)

IMG_2825.JPG
    Tank mate of the fish below. Trying to sex. (picture 7)

IMG_2828.JPG
    Same fish as below.(picture 8)

IMG_2829.JPG
    Pretty sure its stressed. But trying to determine the sex. (picture 9)

19. hdbikersbabeNew MemberMember

Also can anyone tell me why the fish in picture 7 & 8 act the way they do. The one fish chases the other something terrible.

20. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

They look too young to sex.

What size tank are they in? Sounds like normal Cichlid behavior. They are not schooling fish, they will often fight and try to establish a territory in the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice