Sex-changing Betta?

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is this a boy or a girl betta? I've had to ask 3 times, getting mixed responses.

At one point, I thought I saw an egg spot, but not sure anymore as I can't find one.

When I asked before, she (or he) was tiny and grey and stressed. But now her fins have exploded in length and color and she's not stressed anymore. I moved her to a new tank and she made a huge frothy bubble nest. She's super aggressive with other fish, and tries to bite me. She flares at the thermometer. And I don't think I've ever seen a female with such long fins!!
IMG_20180423_002305.jpg
IMG_20180423_002240.jpg
IMG_20180423_002155.jpg

This was her/him just a few months ago
MVIMG_20180207_215205.jpg

Sorry, my phone app is being dumb. This is her bubble nest she made last night
1524470864494.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That looks like a male to me... Also that's a heck of a color change. Though he (or maybe I'm wrong and it's a she) is GORGEOUS. Also I think only males blow bubble nests.

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Definitely a male, the bubble nest confirms it as that's the behaviour of a male (they make the nest, catch the eggs in their mouth and deposit into the nest)

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ha! So I was right all along lol (even though I've been reassured he was a she, I've always thought she was a he). I will now call him Zellar!

What kind of betta do you guys think? Butterfly Halfmoon?

That looks like a male to me... Also that's a heck of a color change. Though he (or maybe I'm wrong and it's a she) is GORGEOUS. Also I think only males blow bubble nests.
I've heard females will sometimes blow bubbles and help make the males nest, but not enough to make a full nest.

Tsin21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree it's a male.

About the bubble nest, yes, sometimes female do make some bubble nest. My female betta just made one yesterday though it's kinda small compared to those made by a male.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom