Sex-changing Betta?

Kysarkel000

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is this a boy or a girl betta? I've had to ask 3 times, getting mixed responses.

At one point, I thought I saw an egg spot, but not sure anymore as I can't find one.

When I asked before, she (or he) was tiny and grey and stressed. But now her fins have exploded in length and color and she's not stressed anymore. I moved her to a new tank and she made a huge frothy bubble nest. She's super aggressive with other fish, and tries to bite me. She flares at the thermometer. And I don't think I've ever seen a female with such long fins!!
IMG_20180423_002305.jpg
IMG_20180423_002240.jpg
IMG_20180423_002155.jpg

This was her/hI'm just a few months ago
MVIMG_20180207_215205.jpg

Sorry, my phone app is being dumb. This is her bubble nest she made last night
1524470864494.jpg

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That looks like a male to me... Also that's a heck of a color change. Though he (or maybe I'm wrong and it's a she) is GORGEOUS. Also I think only males blow bubble nests.

DaleM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Definitely a male, the bubble nest confirms it as that's the behaviour of a male (they make the nest, catch the eggs in their mouth and deposit into the nest)

OP
Kysarkel000

Kysarkel000

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ha! So I was right all along lol (even though I've been reassured he was a she, I've always thought she was a he). I will now call him Zellar!

What kind of betta do you guys think? Butterfly Halfmoon?

Bry said:
That looks like a male to me... Also that's a heck of a color change. Though he (or maybe I'm wrong and it's a she) is GORGEOUS. Also I think only males blow bubble nests.
I've heard females will sometimes blow bubbles and help make the males nest, but not enough to make a full nest.

Tsin21

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree it's a male.

About the bubble nest, yes, sometimes female do make some bubble nest. My female betta just made one yesterday though it's kinda small compared to those made by a male.

New Threads