Sex-changing Betta?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Kysarkel000, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Kysarkel000Well Known MemberMember

Is this a boy or a girl betta? I've had to ask 3 times, getting mixed responses.

At one point, I thought I saw an egg spot, but not sure anymore as I can't find one.

When I asked before, she (or he) was tiny and grey and stressed. But now her fins have exploded in length and color and she's not stressed anymore. I moved her to a new tank and she made a huge frothy bubble nest. She's super aggressive with other fish, and tries to bite me. She flares at the thermometer. And I don't think I've ever seen a female with such long fins!! IMG_20180423_002305.jpgIMG_20180423_002240.jpgIMG_20180423_002155.jpg

This was her/him just a few months ago MVIMG_20180207_215205.jpg

Sorry, my phone app is being dumb. This is her bubble nest she made last night 1524470864494.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  2. BryWell Known MemberMember

That looks like a male to me... Also that's a heck of a color change. Though he (or maybe I'm wrong and it's a she) is GORGEOUS. Also I think only males blow bubble nests.

3. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

Definitely a male, the bubble nest confirms it as that's the behaviour of a male (they make the nest, catch the eggs in their mouth and deposit into the nest)

4. Kysarkel000Well Known MemberMember

Ha! So I was right all along lol (even though I've been reassured he was a she, I've always thought she was a he). I will now call him Zellar!

What kind of betta do you guys think? Butterfly Halfmoon?

I've heard females will sometimes blow bubbles and help make the males nest, but not enough to make a full nest.

5. Tsin21Well Known MemberMember

Agree it's a male.

About the bubble nest, yes, sometimes female do make some bubble nest. My female betta just made one yesterday though it's kinda small compared to those made by a male.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice