Sex and ID my angel please :)

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by kinezumi89, Dec 29, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Not a new one, but I haven't officially learned what kind he or she is. I'm guessing he/she is too young to be sexed, but I'll take bets :p

Also, he/she does swim around and is eating well, but likes to hang out in the corner a lot. Can I assume he/she is just hiding in the dark corner, or should I be worried that something is wrong?

Thanks! :)

12-29-12 2.JPG

12-29-12 1.JPG

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

My guess is a male zebra mix. The sex is just a guess because his/her dorsal is so erect it goes forward!

When they're smaller they act like schooling fish so he may just be a little uncomfortable without much company.

3. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Thanks! I'll post periodic pictures as he/she grows older :)

4. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I think something is wrong with your cat.

Angel looks like a mix to me. Cutey though. Too young to sex IMO, I'd guess a boy.

5. Butterbean

Butterbean Valued Member Member

Hi I'm just trying to learn about sexing angles so I would just like to give a guess, I think it is a female because of the ski slope shape of her head. Please keep posting pictures so we can see if we were right and maybe learn from it if were not :photo: BTW pretty angel

6. C

At this age, head shape isn't much of an indication.

7. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Male ;D

8. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

What do you think he/she is a mix of? Stripey and marble?

And pffff my cat is awesome. He's super tolerant and lets us play with him...like making him wear socks and santa hats :p He's the friendliest cat ever; always has to be sitting with my boyfriend and me.

Evidence of his adorableness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqV7hJQOsYY&feature=youtu.be

9. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd guess male.

Appears to be a Zebra/Marble/Clown type. Will have to wait to see how the colors develop as he ages.

10. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Thanks Dena :)

I know if I get a female that I'd have to deal with possible spawning aggression, but is there any reason to avoid having two males?

11. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a male thing

12. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

With no female to bring out their cichlid nature, no reason you can keep 2 males. In my 125G I have 1 female and 3 males. There is fighting when she gets ready to spawn, but nothing all that extreme.

13. cbowlincatfish

cbowlincatfish Valued Member Member

How do you tell the difference between male and female. What do you look for.

14. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

15. Musey

Musey Well Known Member Member

He is a super pretty angel! :)

16. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Thank you! I had a bit of a scare today but he's doing well. He's not exactly voracious though. He'll only eat if he sees the food falling; once it's hit the bottom he usually won't eat it.

17. Musey

Musey Well Known Member Member

That is interesting. My angel is always starving. He eats from the surface, the middle of the tank or the bottom. He is not picky either... he will eat just about ANYTHING! And in between feedings he is always trying to pick algae off the plants. He even eats right out of my fingers!!!

18. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

My Angels would only eat from the surface and anything that drops they ignore. Now they eat anything and at all levels of the tank.

19. C

My Angels eat anywhere. I've got them eating a lot of Repashy so they are used to eating from the bottom of the tank.

20. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Hopefully when he moves to the big tank he'll learn from everyone else :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice