Severums

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by steve_58, Jan 6, 2013.

1. steve_58Valued MemberMember

Picked up two severums couple weeks ago. Largest and first is roughly 2 1/2" and was told buy lfs it was an orange shoulder but i think its a green. Any opinions or thoughts as to type or sex.
    image.jpg

Second is around 1 1/2" and got at a different lfs and lady had no idea.i'm thinking maybe turquoise. Both have really got more color since i bought them. The smaller one most times always has a blue look over the whole body even the fins.never shows a yellow or other color anywhere
    image.jpg

Attached Files:

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I think they're much too small to sex them.

3. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Gorgeous sevs! I would also guess green or turquoise as their color.

Heros sp. rotkeil would've shown the red by that size.

4. steve_58Valued MemberMember

Thanks. They look much nicer than the pics allow. I'm going to get a gold and positive red shoulder yet for my tank and that should do it.

5. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

they look great i just got a green severum, great personality. hes in qt now, came home with ich :(

6. steve_58Valued MemberMember

Yeh i really love severums. They usually don't bother other tankmates unless prevoked and can be kept with much smaller tankmates. I had a gold severum awhile back that grew to 8" i kept with a 10" chocolate and they were best buds. Lol. They would both let me gently rub they're side and would lay over like it relaxed them enough to put them to sleep. LOL

7. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

that sounds very cute lol. im adding mine with 5 blood parrots in a 125g so well see how they get along together.

8. steve_58Valued MemberMember

I just looked at the sev in the link u posted and mine looks good bit different. My 2 and a half incher has a good bit more yellow on fins and top edge of fin on his back is lined with blue. Mine has alot more blue on his head. The smaller one and a half incher is different. He has a whole lot more blue on head and his body looks blue with no hint of green or yellow. His fins and tail look blue and no sign of yellow on them either. I know from my experience tho with both fresh and saltwater that fish are capable of changing looks completely as they mature. Lol

9. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Just wanted to say they are adorable!

I've got one in my 125g as well. Great fish!

10. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

Well if u guys don't mind I'll share a pic of mine.... any guess on the sex? Mine is in 10g QT with a red tailed shark. They both have ich and this 10g has bad lighting FYI.

Attached Files:

11. steve_58Valued MemberMember

I sure don't mind. Lol. Can't say on sex but great looking sev.

12. Adambull1990New MemberMember

599111_10151252124413961_1920928788_n.jpg

Here is my Severum ... Would like some help on sex if anybody could help??

I think that he is just amazing :)

13. steve_58Valued MemberMember

Very nice. How big is she? Look for squiggly lines or markings between eyes. Usually males have them and females don't. Hard to tell from pic.

14. Adambull1990New MemberMember

Sorry bout long reply, been very busy with work..... He is about 6 inches tip to tip. Just need a female now to keep him company

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice