Severums Laying Eggs Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mraysberg, Dec 8, 2018 at 5:24 PM.

1. mraysbergNew MemberMember

So my sevs have spawned and laid eggs on a rock in my tank. I’m sure the male is the larger one and is somewhat aggressive towards what comes near. He is aggressive to the female also if sexed the fish right. What is my next step? Are the eggs fertilized? How many days till they hatch? I’m just new to this whole having a breeding pair as I didn’t intend on this

2. Nikki2577

Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

I had this happen in my community tank 210g. If they are fertile they will turn an tan color, if they are not viable they will turn white. They will hatch and become wrigglers in 3-4 days and you will see they have little yolk sacs on them, at this stage you don’t have to feed them. When their yolk sac is gone that is when you start feeding them. I want to say straight up that out of my one spawn I got about 250 fry, the parents were so protective that all the other fish hid and basically never came out, they became very aggressive. It’s an amazing thing to watch but it will disrupt your whole tank. I only lost a few fry and had to find homes for the babies. I still have about 30 left. I am not trying to scare you but I wasn’t prepared for it so I know how you feel!

Like I said above it is amazing to watch:)

3. OP
    OP
    m

mraysbergNew MemberMember

Well I came home and no more eggs I guess they ate them

4. Nikki2577

Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

Don’t worry they will have more! They do that sometimes with the first couple batches.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice