Severum has weird looking wound need help.

6Severums

I have 6 severums in a 125 gallon tank. I've had the tank for over 2 years. All my fish are healthy otherwise water parameters are always good feed them multiple types of good quality foods. This just appeared the other day. Worried it's hole in the head. Any other ideas.

Attachments

• 20211017_210021.jpg
    20211017_210021.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211017_210036.jpg
    20211017_210036.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 16

TClare

If it has only just appeared it’s probably more likely an injury. I don’t have any experience of it myself but I think hole in the head usually starts as multiple pin sized holes. I could be wrong though.

6Severums

It started on the right side at the top then looked like maybe a blister that went under the the skin. Now today its on the left side of his head too ( of course he wont hold still and the others keep getting in the way ) other side looks like this side did a few days ago.

Attachments

• 20211017_232628.jpg
    20211017_232628.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211017_232728.jpg
    20211017_232728.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 14

Tigerburp

Probably just a wound, some salt would get it healing in no time

6Severums

Probably just a wound, some salt would get it healing in no time
Is it weird that it was first on the one side has gotten worse and now shown up on the other side in the same area?

Tigerburp

Is it weird that it was first on the one side has gotten worse and now shown up on the other side in the same area?
A little, I would try treating with salt and if no improvement , try using general cure

Blacksheep1

What decor do you have? Kinda looks like he’s got stuck at some point with it being in similar places both sides. Most hith I’ve seen starts closer to the front of the head more between the eyes but I’m in no way an expert and I’m sure someone else can offer more on this.

MacZ

It started on the right side at the top then looked like maybe a blister that went under the the skin. Now today its on the left side of his head too ( of course he wont hold still and the others keep getting in the way ) other side looks like this side did a few days ago.
If it started on one side and then on the other, that's Hexamita for you.
Get a med specifically for Hexamita and Protozoans. No broadband meds, no store recommendation like "This helps too", only something specific. Don't know what is available to you, so I can't recommend a brand. But almost every brand has one med against that stuff.

I usually don't recommend immediate treatment with meds, but with Hexamita there is no time to lose.

6Severums

If it started on one side and then on the other, that's Hexamita for you.
Get a med specifically for Hexamita and Protozoans. No broadband meds, no store recommendation like "This helps too", only something specific. Don't know what is available to you, so I can't recommend a brand. But almost every brand has one med against that stuff.

I usually don't recommend immediate treatment with meds, but with Hexamita there is no time to lose.
I ordered MetraPlex does that work? Should I treat the whole tank? He is rather large and won't fit well in my 10 gallon quarantine tank.

MacZ

Yeah, the med should work. Stick to the instructions.
Treat the whole tank, it's caused by an intestinal parasite.

As a precaution optimize your feeding regimen for the tank and get some extra vitamins to mix in with the food. The parasites can be get rid of but often deficiencies due to damaged intestines can take a while and have long term effects.

6Severums

Yeah, the med should work. Stick to the instructions.
Treat the whole tank, it's caused by an intestinal parasite.

As a precaution optimize your feeding regimen for the tank and get some extra vitamins to mix in with the food. The parasites can be get rid of but
What do you mean by optimize my feeding regimen?

MacZ

Bigger variety, better quality, fast days, target feeding. Whatever may be necessary.

MacZ

Ok right now I feed everyother day one day is tetra crisps and 4 bit pellets and the other day is shrimp pellets algae wafers and meal worms. ( i have plecos, barbs, Cory's, and a rapheal catfish )
Doesn't tell me much, honestly.
Make sure dry foods contain as little filler as possible. Generic fish meal, grains (wheat, corn), legumes (soy) and the like are not useful for fish. Carbs are empty calories. Too high protein in ratio to low fat is also something you want to avoid, as then the fish have to get energy from the protein which is slow starving.

Are the meal worms alive or dead when fed? Do you do fast days or just alternate this diet from day to day?

6Severums

Doesn't tell me much, honestly.
Make sure dry foods contain as little filler as possible. Generic fish meal, grains (wheat, corn), legumes (soy) and the like are not useful for fish. Carbs are empty calories. Too high protein in ratio to low fat is also something you want to avoid, as then the fish have to get energy from the protein which is slow starving.

Are the meal worms alive or dead when fed? Do you do fast days or just alternate this diet from day to day?
I'm not sure what the food contains my dad gets it from Ken's fish food online and we split it. They are freeze dried i also feed cucumber from time to time. The food alternates with a day in between. I started the MetraPlex last night.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
awilkinson871
Replies
Views
MoshJosh
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views