Severum, Festivum & EBA Tank Mates 75 Gallon

Meyia

I currently have in 75 Gallon:
1 - Gold Severum maybe (3.5 - 4 inches)
1 - Festivum maybe (3.5 - 4 inches)
1 - Electric Blue Acara maybe (3.5 inches)

Wanting to know if any of these can be added:
1 - Honduran Red Point
1 - Convict
1 - Firemouth

I’ve learned with cichlids it’s trial and error especially since I have personally witnessed my Festivum aka Jaws attack/eat Cardinal tetras, Pleco, Rummynose tetras, Angel fish and a Bolivian Ram. Also can’t have snails my EBA will eat them.

Would love any suggestions even if the answer isn’t what I want to hear.

TClare

Rather than adding Central American cichlids I would prefer to add more of what you already have. Festivums do better and look good in groups and I believe they can be more aggressive when kept singly. Individuals will vary though. The trouble is if you can only get small festivums, the bigger one might be aggressive to them, not sure. Of course they will eat small fish, so if you would like some characins get some bigger ones, like Colombian tetras for example. More acaras would not be a bad idea as well, or something like the South American Cichlasomas which can stand up for themselves but are relatively peaceful.

To be honest I am not sure how the Central Americans you mentioned would work out. My festivums and severum are all very peaceful and I would not like to put convicts with them. A firemouth might be less of a problem, but again they are a species best kept in groups. I don't know much about the Honduran red point, but they are closely related to convicts and probably similar.

What are your water parameters? In general the South Americans you have will prefer softer water, while the Central Americans do better in harder, more alkaline water. Though tank bred individuals may adapt to different parameters, they probably will not show their best health and colours in less than optimal conditions.

If you do decide to add more cichlids I would definitely rearrange the tank just before you add them so that the existing cichlids will be confused about their territories and will be less likely to attack the new ones.

As you mentioned cichlids can be unpredictable so it is difficult to say for sure what will work and what won't.
Another interesting SA possibility would be a pike cichlid, preferably one of the smaller species...

A201

You might look at getting a female Salvini Cichlid. Very colorful but not too big or overly aggressive. Here's a pick of a mated Salvini pair I once kept. The female is yellow.

Attachments

• 20220122_135157.jpg
    20220122_135157.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 3

Meyia

Rather than adding Central American cichlids I would prefer to add more of what you already have. Festivums do better and look good in groups and I believe they can be more aggressive when kept singly. Individuals will vary though. The trouble is if you can only get small festivums, the bigger one might be aggressive to them, not sure. Of course they will eat small fish, so if you would like some characins get some bigger ones, like Colombian tetras for example. More acaras would not be a bad idea as well, or something like the South American Cichlasomas which can stand up for themselves but are relatively peaceful.

To be honest I am not sure how the Central Americans you mentioned would work out. My festivums and severum are all very peaceful and I would not like to put convicts with them. A firemouth might be less of a problem, but again they are a species best kept in groups. I don't know much about the Honduran red point, but they are closely related to convicts and probably similar.

What are your water parameters? In general the South Americans you have will prefer softer water, while the Central Americans do better in harder, more alkaline water. Though tank bred individuals may adapt to different parameters, they probably will not show their best health and colours in less than optimal conditions.

If you do decide to add more cichlids I would definitely rearrange the tank just before you add them so that the existing cichlids will be confused about their territories and will be less likely to attack the new ones.

As you mentioned cichlids can be unpredictable so it is difficult to say for sure what will work and what won't.
Another interesting SA possibility would be a pike cichlid, preferably one of the smaller species...
My fish store doesn’t have any more Festivums. I don’t want to try any more schooling fish do to my current fish killing almost 2 whole entire schools of 12. Before I moved them to a different tank. I will definitely look into the pike fish & South American Cichlasomas
You might look at getting a female Salvini Cichlid. Very colorful but not too big or overly aggressive. Here's a pick of a mated Salvini pair I once kept. The female is yellow.
They are gorgeous! I’ll look into them as well I thought they were aggressive like Jack Dempsey’s so I never gave them much thought.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gillyfish
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
Kvandy
Replies
Views