Severum eating new fish

Mick Mann

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a severum for a while now. She was the last fish i put in and has got on well with all other fish. I have a small school of tetras which i tried to increase last month by adding 6 rummynose tetras. These evaporated one by one over the space of 2 weeks.

I didnt know why at the time so yesterday i tried buying 10 cardinals, hoping they would have been more resilient than the rummynose. Last night after the light was off i noticed my severum trying to suck them up. Today i am missing 6. They were even the largest cardinals i have seen!

How do i resolve this? If i take her out and into a bucket with no lights for an hour and then back in, will this reset her territory? I need advice. Cheers.

AliciaI

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Severums will eat anything they can get in their mouth, and so cannot be housed with community fish such as tetras.

Mick Mann

Valued Member
Reaction score
She has been in with 4 neons & 6 glowlights (who were in first) and never have had any issues untill i introduce a new fish.

AliciaI

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm guessing you've had the severum from a young fish? They grow quite large. I used to keep a couple of them in a 150g, and when they spawned, I put one of their fry in my community tank. It was fine with the smaller fish, until it grew, then it had to be rehoused because it was trying to eat the smaller fish.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah i'd say if she grew up with the other small fish you had, she doesn't view them as food i guess. but when you introduce "strangers" , this might signal her to attack. are the original fish still in the tank?

if it keep happening, you may just not be able to have anymore small fish in there. what size tank is this again?

Mick Mann

Valued Member
Reaction score
Its 200 litre. Yeah the original neon tetras aare still there. She seems to have picked out the new ones specifically and ate them lol.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok....so not a huge tank. the more hiding places you have the better . idk if i'd attempt more fish though. seems like it will just be a waste of money.

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wonder if this is a look into my future? I have Severums in a community, never have I seen him go after my neons.
Not sure if you're gonna be able to keep your Sev off live food now lol, maybe you can give your new little guys a better chance of survival with a dim night light?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sevrums mouths aren't all that big....so i think a larger schooling fish, like anders mentioned, would be fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom