Severum/Angelfish Tankmates

Derek C

Reaction score
So I have a 60 Gallon running and it’s been about 5 months so I have a good amount of beneficial bacteria in there.

I currently have:
1 Gold Severum ~ 2.5 inches
2 Angelfish ~ 3 inches height
1 Bristlenose pleco

I feel like something is missing from the tank though. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of tankmates that could go well with everyone in the tank currently. I was thinking maybe some dwarf cichlids or bottom dwellers but I’m not entirely sure. Any other ideas? Thanks!

atoken64

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I kept Cory's in my grow out tank when my Severum's were around the same size. I still have them but my Severum's went into a 125 with an Oscar, so the Cory's might get eaten by the Oscar. However; even with a full grown Severum a small school of them should be fine ( I had seven of them along with a Bristlenose Pleco). Just keep in mind that Cory's are a schooling fish and you need at least 6 of them.

neontetraz

Reaction score
I agree with @atokin64. Corys are great and my 5 inch angelfish dosent brother them. Get 5 or 6 of them though. They like to be in groups.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would add a middle dwelling schooling fish. I got scissor tail rasboras last year And I am still fascinated with them.
They dont nip, they dont chase, they stick to themselves. But they are also not bothered by the crazy food hoggin blue acaras and loaches.
Other possabilities - turgouis ranbows, madacascar rainbows, yoyo loaches, zebra loaches, golden wonder killi, american flag killis.

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would definitely consider a school of cories. They are surprisingly fun I objectively added some since so many people rave over them and they are easily one of my favorite fish in my 60g.

I have a school of 8 and they are so active and fun too watch.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You've got a lot of options....

*A dozen corydoras + 2 peacock eels

* 1 electric blue acara + 1 red rainbow cichlid (Herotilapia multispinosus)

* 3-4 Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus (small geophagus 4"-5" long)

* corydoras plus a couple of Bolivian Rams

Tons more combinations of fish suited to your tank....

OP
D

Derek C

Reaction score
Islandvic said:
You've got a lot of options....

*A dozen corydoras + 2 peacock eels

* 1 electric blue acara + 1 red rainbow cichlid (Herotilapia multispinosus)

* 3-4 Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus (small geophagus 4"-5" long)

* corydoras plus a couple of Bolivian Rams

Tons more combinations of fish suited to your tank....
Do you think I can have 1 electric blue acara, 2 bolivian rams, and corydoras?

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

It's been awhile since I've watched this video. I think Jason suggests tank mates in it.

I've never kept an EBA, but I've heard they are usualy very docile

If the EBA was purchased as a small juvenile, it would probably be fine as it grew up with the Cory's.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

atoken64

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Derek C said:
Do you think I can have 1 electric blue acara, 2 bolivian rams, and corydoras?
I had some Electric Blue Accara's and had no problems keeping them with cory's. Not sure about Rams though as I never had any.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In my experience, our Bolivian Rams are very docile, and have no problems with their other community fish and bottom dweller tank mates (khuli loaches, clown plecos, assorted corydoras)

Leeman75

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm a couple of days into having an EBA with a couple of GBRs. So far, so good. The male GBR will occasionally chase the EBA for a second or two, but there's no nipping or contact. I think he's just establishing his dominance. The EBA doesn't seem too bothered by it and swims pretty calmly all over the tank even when the GBR is nearby.

Leeman75

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I should note that currently the male GBR and EBA are about the same size and the GBRs have been in the tank for about a month and a half. As the EBA grows to be much larger, I think the chasing will probably go away.

I'd be more concerned if it was the EBA chasing the GBR because as the EBA gets larger and the GBR stays pretty much the same (I hear Matthew McConaughey saying that in my head), it would probably just get worse.

New Threads