Severm always hiding and stressed looking?

1. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Alright so a little background info.

I added the severm on March 5th. The ones I had in the past all settled in nicely and colored up. Well this time around I threw my tank into a mini cycle so I figured that would stress him and that's why he was hiding. I am now coming out of the cycle and he's looking worse than ever. Still swimming and eating so I'm hoping after these next couple days he clears up but he's also got almost a film over him. Could this just be more from stress?

I know with there being ammonia in my tank he would be stressed but everyone else in the tank is doing fine he's the only one having issues. I'm going to go ahead and put anti-fungal medication in just in case but I'm a little worried about him.

I do remember in the past with my severms they would just look stressed and would go back to normal in a few days. Any ideas? My aquarium info is finally back up to date so if you need any other info it should be there.

2. toosie Well Known Member Member

It might be excess slime coat. If something has been irritating his skin it may have caused him to produce extra slime coat to try to protect himself from the irritant. Ammonia can burn and irritate and maybe because he was a newbie and under stress it may have affected him more than others. It's not often I see a fish produce excess slime coat due to ammonia so he may be being irritated by something else too. Parasites being one of the more likely irritants. Is he flashing at all? It really doesn't sound like a fungus to me.

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I've had mine for two months now and it still smashes into the glass and things when I walk in the room. Not as much now though, but it's still fairly skittish. This would lead me to believe that it does not handle stress well.

Can you post a pic or video?

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

His slime coat looks normal now but he still looks stressed and not fully colored back to normal. I will try to get a video today when I get home from class. I remember my old ones it took them a while to settle in but I don't think it was this long. Its been almost a month now.