Important Severely Bloated Betta....not dropsy?

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
I recently acquired this rescue betta, she is a female dumbo, age unknown. She has been severely bloated like this for 2 months apparently. I got her last Wednesday (3 days ago). I have begun doing salt baths and treating for parasites but I thought I would throw her story out there to see if anyone has had experience with anything like this. I also talked about her on this thread: Sickest betta I’ve ever seen... | 464213 | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health

Ill just fill out the emergency form according to what I have done since getting her:

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 6.5
How long has the tank been running? unknown before I got it, ive had the tank for 3 days.
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 80 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 very sad betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? every few days (its still cycling, so when I have a spike, normally I do 30-50% weekly)
How much of the water do you change? depends, normally 30-50%
What do you use to treat your water? seachem prime or stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? When I got the tank it was mid cycle (fishless, she was in a hospital "tank")
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once a day
How much do you feed your fish? small amount
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hariki frozen brine and daphnia
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 3 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? she has been like this for 2 months (according to last owner)
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? severely bloated
Have you started any treatment for the illness? yes. I use a small amount of aquarium salt in her tank as well as doing epson salt baths every other day. She is also getting fed daphnia and I'm using metroplex for parasites.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Yes
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Not since I got her, no change.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
Just got the betta as a rescue, attempting to reduce her bloating. Wondering if there are any other suggestions or thoughts as to why she is this large. I don't believe its dropsy since she doesn't have pineconing and she likely wouldn't still be alive after so long. There is also a small white spot coming out of her, could it just be poo? or a worm of some sort. Its looked like that since I got her (you can see in one of the photos where shes in my hand). She eats normally (hand fed) and can swim up to the surface if she tries. She also has fin rot but the water changes and a cycled tank will help with that. Just thought I would make her own forum for some suggestions.

Attachments

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh my. That is the biggest I've ever seen a betta. I'd try reducing feeding to every other day, and an espom salt bath to help her expel fluids. Maybe some furan 2 and or kanaplex. If she doesn't start improving you should probably consider euthanizing her, she has to be in extreme pain.

Here's hoping this little fish can make it through, I'm glad you're rescuing her. Best of luck to you guys!

OP
FreshwaterHG

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
Oh my. That is the biggest I've ever seen a betta. I'd try reducing feeding to every other day, and an espom salt bath to help her expel fluids. Maybe some furan 2 and or kanaplex. If she doesn't start improving you should probably consider euthanizing her, she has to be in extreme pain.

Here's hoping this little fish can make it through, I'm glad you're rescuing her. Best of luck to you guys!
Yeah im trying to feed mostly daphina to help reduce bloating. I can do every other day. I also already threw in Kanaplex (forgot to add that, got lots going on, she came with another betta and two other tanks). I didn't do Furan-2 yet since the measurement would be fairly off since its in packets for a 10g and this is a 6.5. Hard to measure correctly. I'm trying to figure out when to say Ive tried enough and put her down. She still has some fight in her, she fights me every time I take her out for a salt bath. But I also don't want her to suffer. I'm leaving on vacation and my father is watching the tanks. I have 2 weeks till then and he wont be equip to care for her needs so I'll probably have that be the cut-off point. If treatments are working, I would know before 2 weeks.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FreshwaterHG said:
Yeah im trying to feed mostly daphina to help reduce bloating. I can do every other day. I also already threw in Kanaplex (forgot to add that, got lots going on, she came with another betta and two other tanks). I didn't do Furan-2 yet since the measurement would be fairly off since its in packets for a 10g and this is a 6.5. Hard to measure correctly. I'm trying to figure out when to say Ive tried enough and put her down. She still has some fight in her, she fights me every time I take her out for a salt bath. But I also don't want her to suffer. I'm leaving on vacation and my father is watching the tanks. I have 2 weeks till then and he wont be equip to care for her needs so I'll probably have that be the cut-off point. If treatments are working, I would know before 2 weeks.
Yeah, don't risk over doing it with furan 2. The line up sounds good, keep it up, keep the water perfect, and watch closely. Have you been noticing her get any worse? Not worse is a good sign.

OP
FreshwaterHG

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
Yeah, don't risk over doing it with furan 2. The line up sounds good, keep it up, keep the water perfect, and watch closely. Have you been noticing her get any worse? Not worse is a good sign.
She hasn’t been getting worse. But also no improvement yet. Apparently her old owner attempted to treat her when it first started but couldn’t remember what he used med wise. The last two weeks before I got her she got no meds. Life stuff happened for him which is why I ended up with her and the others. He posted them online and I was the only one who didn’t just want the nice tanks. (All rimless, finnex light, fancy stuff). I wanted to give it a shot and I have the tools to why not ya know.

CheshireKat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How often did the previous owner feed? Maybe they overfed for a long period of time. If you think worms are a possibility, I'd use a dewormer, maybe after you finish with Kanaplex; not sure if it'd be safe to combine the meds. Kanaplex will work for bacterial issues. I agree with the Epsom salt baths to reduce swelling; Epsom salt is also a muscle relaxant and therefore a laxative of sorts. I'd also fast except for fiber-rich foods like daphnia as you're doing or peas.

OP
FreshwaterHG

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
CheshireKat said:
How often did the previous owner feed? Maybe they overfed for a long period of time. If you think worms are a possibility, I'd use a dewormer, maybe after you finish with Kanaplex; not sure if it'd be safe to combine the meds. Kanaplex will work for bacterial issues. I agree with the Epsom salt baths to reduce swelling; Epsom salt is also a muscle relaxant and therefore a laxative of sorts. I'd also fast except for fiber-rich foods like daphnia as you're doing or peas.
I have no idea how much she was fed. The other betta I got has bad swim bladder issues.. Hes also getting fed daphnia. There was likely over-feeding, I saw lots of flakes in the tank when I got there before I moved them.

And yeah I wont add any more meds yet, just hoping to also get a start on her fin rot with the ani-bacterial. They are fairly bad given she was a dumbo and should have huge fins. Any recommendations for a de-wormer?

CheshireKat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FreshwaterHG said:
I have no idea how much she was fed. The other betta I got has bad swim bladder issues.. Hes also getting fed daphnia. There was likely over-feeding, I saw lots of flakes in the tank when I got there before I moved them.

And yeah I wont add any more meds yet, just hoping to also get a start on her fin rot with the ani-bacterial. They are fairly bad given she was a dumbo and should have huge fins. Any recommendations for a de-wormer?
Flakes? I don't like feeding bettas flakes, personally.
I've used General Cure in the past, but not for internal parasites. It has two meds, metronidazole and Praziquantel. Fritz Paracleanse is similar. Levamisole is good for internal parasites, as is Prazipro, which is Praziquantel. I'm interested in this medicated food: . It has levamisole, Epsom salt, garlic, and Praziquantel and since it's ingested, the fish will get the med directly.

OP
FreshwaterHG

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
CheshireKat said:
I've used General Cure in the past, but not for internal parasites. It has two meds, metronidazole and Praziquantel. Fritz Paracleanse is similar. Levamisole is good for internal parasites, as is Prazipro, which is Praziquantel. I'm interested in this medicated food: . It has levamisole, Epsom salt, garlic, and Praziquantel and since it's ingested, the fish will get the med directly.
Thanks. Yeah General cure is what came to mind first I can’t find it anywhere. I would have to call some more local fish stores but I know my normal one doesn’t carry it and it’s not available on Amazon currently. I’ll go check that out and see if I can get it to me fast.

CheshireKat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, I just noticed that. Not sure what that's about. GC used to be very easily available. Hm.

OP
FreshwaterHG

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
CheshireKat said:
Yeah shoot. Even if I order it right now it won’t come for another 10 days at least, and it could come only 2 days before I hop on a plane to fly 3,000 miles away. Might have to try another med. Prazipro maybe? I’m also like close to Wet Spot, they might have GC or another option. Their med guys are pretty awesome. I’ll call and book an appointment to go in tomorrow as soon as they open.

CheshireKat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FreshwaterHG said:
I’m also like close to Wet Spot
Aw, man. I'm jealous.
I would try something else then, not worth waiting. I'd ask them for sure or at least see what they have available.

OP
FreshwaterHG

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Yeah I’ll just bring in photos of her and see what they suggest. They got all the good good knowledge. I also have been meaning to go to get a replacement hinge for a glass lid, perfect timing.

OP
FreshwaterHG

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Went today, got to speak with their med guy. They looked at the photos and recommended I do metroplex, kanaplex, and prazipro in a trio together. I already started kana and metro so I added the prazipro when I got home. Hoping I start seeing some improvement. They also agreed if she able to be saved I would see improvement in a week for sure with this method. I’ll keep up with the updates...

New Threads