Severe Pancreatic Attack

1. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

My 11 year old dog who already has a huge growth on her liver (inoperable) suffered a pancreatic attack yesterday. She got so bad the vet had to put her on IV fluids and gave her pain meds.

Running tests we discovered her thyroid levels were again down to 0.5, which was a shock as she takes thyroid meds morn and night.

Her fever broke this morning (was 105F last night) and her heart rate is again normal (was 190 last night) and she is no longer dehydrated. Ate this morning, had been 2 days without food....by her choice.

I am so excited I get to pick her up this afternoon!!! I missed my baby last night.

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Aw poor baby! I'm glad she's feeling better now :;hug2 I hate dropping my dogs off at the vet, even for something minor lol My Rott mix about had a heart attack when I dropped him of to get neutered. He knew what was coming :;laughing

3. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Poor old girl. Hope mommy's doing ok. :;group

4. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I hated leaving my cat at the vet, even when I worked there! If it's any consolation, a dog's normal temperature is higher than a human's, so while that was definitely a fever, it wasn't quite as bad as if a person had the same temperature. :)

Hopefully she is feeling up to par soon!

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Awww....I'm so sorry Dena.
    It's upsetting when our fur babies are sick.
    So glad she's feeling better and coming home!

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Good News

I am sorry she had to go through that. I hate to see an animal in pain, they are so helpless. But, the good news is she is back in black.:;wv

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Glad she's feeling better :)
    Carol

8. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you everyone! It was a rough night. With her age and health issues I half expected her to not make it. I don't want her dieing locked in a kennel at the vet!

She is a fighter!

I can hardly think about work. Have another hour and I will be off to pick her up. Yay!!

9. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

That's great. We had an old dog that kept getting sick, going to the vet and coming back really perky for a few months before she got sick again. It's hard. I hope your dog stays healthy Dena!

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

So sorry she wasn't feeling good, but glad she is better now. Big hugs for you both from my pack to yours!

11. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

So glad she is feeling better and you are getting to pick her up! Please give her some hugs and scritchies from me and my canine crew.

12. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you everyone!! Gave her several hugs from everyone! She was in a kennel next to a cat (high care area), and I couldn't understand why she was so calm. She hates cats!!! After coming out of the kennel, it took her a split second to raise her fur, growl, and charge that poor kitty. Yep. She is back to her ornery self!

Definitely doing much better! Even has that bounce back in her step.

She is on Tramadol for pain management; and a special diet for at least a week. Need to retest her thyroid level in a couple of weeks. Vet thought that the pancreatic attack was brought on by an infection as she responded so quickly to antibiotics. So, she is also taking a strong antibiotic for 2 weeks. Back on her antihistamines and thyroid meds too.

Down side is that she is loosing weight. In her prime, Lucky weighed 90 pounds. Today she is down to 71 pounds. I know she doesn't have long to live; but hopefully she continues to do better and not stay in pain.

13. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Aww, she looks just like my moms Lab, Licorice! She's 14 and still some how kicking, with little more than hip issues. She used to weigh about 85 pounds, but now keeps steady at about 65 or 70.

I'm glad she responded to her new medicine so quickly :) You don't need to be told how good that is :) Give her hugs and treats from Aunty Akari =D

14. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Will do Akari!

Lucky ate half a can of her special food. Wanted more, but the vet warned about too much at once. Even waited a couple of hours to give her her meds tonight. Had the worst time getting those antibiotics down her throat. Those pills are huge! And I have to get 2 down!! Anyway, she settled down once the meds took effect and was sound asleep when the young dog pounced on her. Grrr. Now Lucky is in a lot of pain. Paced for about half an hour before settling down again. I had to lay on the floor to create a barrier to separate the 2 dogs, but finally got Lucky comfortable enough to fall asleep again. .

That pup better behave herself or she's gonna find herself in permanent doggy timeout aka locked out of the house.

15. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, don't want to overload her little old doggy system lol I always have to put my dogs pills in their food or in some cheese or a hot dog. They'll very rarely take them out right, and they can easily over power me if they wanted, so its easier on all of us if we pretend like its a treat LOL Of course, in your case, you can't really do that...

Awww, bad puppy! :nono:

16. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hey there Dena, I was offline most of yesterday and I'm just catching up on your news. I am so glad your dog is responding to medications. I know it's hard when our dogs get old and we know what's coming up. It's hard for us and hard for them. I had to put my dog Sandy down this past July after having her for 13 years. She had kidney problems and was on Tramadol also, which helped tremendously. So...I understand what you might be going through. :;hug2

17. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, that's what we usually do as well. Much easier as a "treat" than choking down meds. I ended up taking some of the canned food and hiding the pill in a small bit of it, and hand fed her.

Thank you Donnerjay. I'm sorry to hear about Sandy. I have had many dogs in my life, but have been lucky as each one died of natural causes. This is the first dog I've owned that has had so many health problems. Not sure who it is harder on...me or her.

18. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of diet has the vet got her on?

19. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Science Diet Gastrointestional something. I will have to look in the morning.

20. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Aww... what a smoochable face. She looks like a love!