Severe Fin Rot Treatments Not Responding

Reybetta

My betta had initially gotten fin rot from a sharp plant which I had treated with API Fungus Cure. He was on the mend after using the treatment and daily water changes. After a short holiday I came back to a noticeable difference in my betta and his fins were almost gone. I then treated him with API Fungus cure again which did not help. I then tried kanaplex which had also not helped. I have now tried a simple aquarium salt treatment to see of that will slow the fin rot. so far nothing has helped. The rot is is continuing and is becoming very close to his body!! If anyone has any advice I would extremely appreciate it.

5 gal tank
filtered
temp 80-82
ammonium 0
nitirtes 0
nitrates <5

Attachments

• 21534558_10203651077913082_169062655_o.jpg
    21534558_10203651077913082_169062655_o.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 189

Esty

Your betta looks so similar to my boy who I'm having the same problem with. I've also tried Kanaplex and no change. But I am dosing the tank with Vita Chem and it seems to be working a tiny bit. He's much more active, at least. Can't tell if he has any new growth because I honestly don't know what to look for.

I hope your boy improves!

Reybetta

Your betta looks so similar to my boy who I'm having the same problem with. I've also tried Kanaplex and no change. But I am dosing the tank with Vita Chem and it seems to be working a tiny bit. He's much more active, at least. Can't tell if he has any new growth because I honestly don't know what to look for.

I hope your boy improves!

The new growth will look like white webbing where the fins were initially torn

tunafax

Hello!

The best course of action is to take him out of the 5 gallon tank. Put him into 1 gallon or less with absolutely nothing in it, do daily WC until you can safely do Kana again. Then do a course of Kana with daily WC. That should do it.

I keep seeing people coming here after having so much trouble treating fin rot in their big planted tanks, when all they need to do is 1. empty the tank so that nothing can touch those poor fins, and 2. restrict his movement by putting him into something less than 1 gallon for a month so he can't damage his fins by swimming too hard.
When you have a broken leg, you rest it a lot and keep it in a cast. Same should go for your betta.

Edit: also that's pinhole rot. Torn fins don't necessarily have to get fin rot if your water is clean. I don't think any of this has much to do with an injury, and more to do with bacteria-harboring surfaces in your tank.

Reybetta

Hello!

The best course of action is to take him out of the 5 gallon tank. Put him into 1 gallon or less with absolutely nothing in it, do daily WC until you can safely do Kana again. Then do a course of Kana with daily WC. That should do it.

I keep seeing people coming here after having so much trouble treating fin rot in their big planted tanks, when all they need to do is 1. empty the tank so that nothing can touch those poor fins, and 2. restrict his movement by putting him into something less than 1 gallon for a month so he can't damage his fins by swimming too hard.
When you have a broken leg, you rest it a lot and keep it in a cast. Same should go for your betta.

Edit: also that's pinhole rot. Torn fins don't necessarily have to get fin rot if your water is clean. I don't think any of this has much to do with an injury, and more to do with bacteria-harboring surfaces in your tank.

How long should I wait to do the Kanaplex again? also should I do the kanaplex in the 5gal or in the smaller tank? Do I do water changes while treating with kanaplex or do I just add the kanaplex until the end of treatment then do a water change?

tunafax

How long should I wait to do the Kanaplex again? also should I do the kanaplex in the 5gal or in the smaller tank? Do I do water changes while treating with kanaplex or do I just add the kanaplex until the end of treatment then do a water change?

The first thing you need to do is take him out of the 5 gallon tank and put him into 1 gallon heated tupperware with a breathable lid.

1. take him out.
2. do daily water changes for 30%.
3. after 14 days after your last round of kana, you can do kana again.
4. Continue doing daily WC with kana, replacing the amount you took out by volume instead of doing it every 2 days like the box says.
5. Finish the round, continue daily WC for a month. Keep him in 1 gallon for a month. He needs to not be in a big tank. He needs to not be able to move too much, and he needs to not have anything in his tank that can have bacteria.

Reybetta

The first thing you need to do is take him out of the 5 gallon tank and put him into 1 gallon heated tupperware with a breathable lid.

1. take him out.
2. do daily water changes for 30%.
3. after 14 days after your last round of kana, you can do kana again.
4. Continue doing daily WC with kana, replacing the amount you took out by volume instead of doing it every 2 days like the box says.
5. Finish the round, continue daily WC for a month. Keep him in 1 gallon for a month. He needs to not be in a big tank. He needs to not be able to move too much, and he needs to not have anything in his tank that can have bacteria.

thank you for clarifying. He has been moved into a 1gal.

tunafax

Good luck! Just make sure you heat it. If your heater won't fit/is too strong for 1g, put the 1 gallon into a larger body of water and heat the water outside - which in turn will heat the 1g.

And you also don't have to finish the full round of Kana, you can end the treatment as soon as you see black edges disappear. Removing fin rot + healing fins doesn't happen at the same time. You first remove the puss from a wound, and then wait for it to heal. Basically the same thing.

Reybetta

Hello!

You mentioned bacteria harboring surfaces in my tank that could be causing the pinholes. Should I be doing something to my 5gal tank you get rid of the bacteria?

tunafax

I think for now leave it. If the betta begins so show signs of improvement in 1g, you will know for sure it's your 5 gallon tank causing problems - but the recovering betta shouldn't go back in there for another month anyway.

Can you post a full picture of your tank so I can give suggestions?

Reybetta

Ok thanks

Reybetta

I think for now leave it. If the betta begins so show signs of improvement in 1g, you will know for sure it's your 5 gallon tank causing problems - but the recovering betta shouldn't go back in there for another month anyway.

Can you post a full picture of your tank so I can give suggestions?

Here is a full photo of the tank. I do not have substrate in it but I have some just waiting to go in. I did not want to put it in while I was trying to heal my fish so I could make sure all feces and left over food was cleaned up. The plants in the tank are 2 real and 2 silk. The rock is a hiding spot.

Attachments

• 21616705_10203654866687799_1553023972_o.jpg
    21616705_10203654866687799_1553023972_o.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 125

tunafax

Take out the rock. It's too sharp for a betta. Get rid of the hair plant, too. The less you have there for now the better.

Reybetta

That's my 5 gallon tank. Right now he's not in there he's in a 1 gallon bowl with nothing in it but the heater

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
TexasDomer