Severe Fin Rot Not Responding To Treatment

Reybetta

My betta had initially gotten fin rot from a sharp plant in his tank which I had treated with API Fungus Cure. This seemed to help and was on the mend with daily water changes after the treatment. Unfortunately his fin rot came back even worse after I went away on holidays. I have treated him with API Fungus Cure again with no improvements. I then ordered Kanaplex which I used 3 doses and no improvement. Now I am using Aquarium salt but it does not seem to be helping either. Not sure what I should do from here for if I should use another dose of medication. The rot is becoming very close to his body!!!

5 gal tank
temp 80-82
filtered
ammonium 0
nirites 0
nitrates <5

Attachments

• 21534558_10203651077913082_169062655_o.jpg
    21534558_10203651077913082_169062655_o.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 320

Katie13

It looks more like tail biting to me.

Reybetta

It looks more like tail biting to me.

He isn't a very aggressive fish. I've never seen him flare or go after his tail. There are pin holes in his fins is this a sign of tail biting? Can tail biting cause fin rot?

Katie13

He isn't a very aggressive fish. I've never seen him flare or go after his tail. There are pin holes in his fins is this a sign of tail biting? Can tail biting cause fin rot?
I don't think it's fin rot at all. The downside to flowing find on bettas is that they weigh them down leading some to bite them to get rid of some of that excess weight.

Reybetta

I don't think it's fin rot at all. The downside to flowing find on bettas is that they weigh them down leading some to bite them to get rid of some of that excess weight.

Is there anything you can suggest that might help keeping him from biting his fins? Fin biting could explain why I've been struggling to get his fins to grow and not disappear for a few months.

Whitewolf

Dont use fungus cure its horrible harsh chemicals. Kanamycin alone should work or other antibiotics out there.
Really no need to use anything besides methylene blue on a betta.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jillianfaith
Replies
Views
yongles
Replies
Views
Reybetta
Replies
Views