Severe Fin Rot; Don't Know What Else To Do

1. cyfoeth Initiate Member

Hi guys! About three weeks ago, my betta fish started acting very lethargic (laying at the bottom of his tank, not swimming around like he use to). He also quickly started losing his fins. There is nothing I can think of that caused him stress to start this. I did 50% water changes for about a week after I noticed the fin rot and that didn't help his problem, so I went ahead and added Tetra Safestart (I was also testing my water levels during this week and I couldn't get ammonia down). I'm currently on day 5 with these readings:

pH: 7.4
    ammonia: 0
    nitrite: 0
    nitrate: 10-20ppm

Everything points to his tank being cycled. He has been in this tank for five months now, I only use spring bottled water when filling/changing the tank water, and he's eating normally (good sign!). I'm at a loss on what to do. While I'm suppose to wait two weeks for TSS to complete it's cycle, he needs help and everything I'm reading says don't touch the water. He is a little worse this morning, he's opening his mouth while he sits on the bottom. Please, any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to add, he is in a four gallon tank.

Resized_20160623_103336.jpeg Resized_20160623_103907.jpeg

2. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

TSS is useless at this point, your tank is cycled. I would be doing the daily water changes again, it may take a while but he will get better.
    I'm sorry your little buddy isn't doing to well:( Welcome to the forum!

3. Aster Well Known Member Member

That looks pretty bad. The only thing you can do for fin rot really is just clean water. Water-change, water-change, water-change. As often and as large as possible. You can also try adding some aquarium salt, but no matter what you do, don't add melafix/bettafix.

4. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I don't recommend aquarium salt either, if it is overdosed or left in too long it can cause liver and kidney failure. IMO salt shouldn't be used with freshwater fish, it's a recipe for disaster.

5. cyfoeth Initiate Member

Thanks guys! I'm going back to my daily water changes for now. :)