Severe case of ick or something else?

marcus489

Reaction score
So it's been about 5 days now since I started seeing issues in my 36g and began treatment with Ick Guard tablets. On the 4th day of treatment I started using Ick-x. I can't tell if this is normal or not but only after a couple hours, all the blue from the medication is nearly gone and it makes me think that it's not effective, but I don't know if that's normal or not? (I also removed my carbon.)

Now I'm starting to think this is not ick. I got ick in the past so I thought this really was ick. Can someone check out this video and let me know what you think? I've had a couple neon tetras die and now I'm afraid that my pleco will get infected. :(

Some weird symptoms I'm now noticing after 5 days is that my guppy completely lost their tail, and a few of my neons have slightly damaged tails. I appreciate any help on what treatment to give. Also, if this is ich, how long will lit take to start seeing results? And why does the medication seemingly disappear from my tank after a couple hours?

Here's a video, the quality will be better if you download it. There's also a good close up at 35 seconds.

JustAFishServant

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
marcus489 said:
So it's been about 5 days now since I started seeing issues in my 36 gallon and began treatment with Ick Guard tablets. On the 4th day of treatment I started using Ick-x. I can't tell if this is normal or not but only after a couple hours, all the blue from the medication is nearly gone and it makes me think that it's not effective, but I don't know if that's normal or not? (I also removed my carbon.)

Now I'm starting to think this is not ick. I got ick in the past so I thought this really was ick. Can someone check out this video and let me know what you think? I've had a couple neon tetras die and now I'm afraid that my pleco will get infected. :(

Some weird symptoms I'm now noticing after 5 days is that my guppy completely lost their tail, and a few of my neons have slightly damaged tails. I appreciate any help on what treatment to give. Also, if this is ich, how long will lit take to start seeing results? And why does the medication seemingly disappear from my tank after a couple hours?

Here's a video, the quality will be better if you download it. There's also a good close up at 35 seconds.
Oh wow, that is 100%, without a doubt, a bad case of Ich! If the medication isn't working, it may be defective, or possibly expired? I hope you can get through this. I've never had Ich, so I can't even imagine how terrifying it is...I wish you good luck!

OP
M

marcus489

Reaction score
JustAFishServant said:
Oh wow, that is 100%, without a doubt, a bad case of Ich! If the medication isn't working, it may be defective, or possibly expired? I hope you can get through this. I've never had Ich, so I can't even imagine how terrifying it is...I wish you good luck!
Okay so you for sure think its ich? I just bought the meds so it shouldnt be expired. Thanks

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ah, welcome to the "Oh no, I have ich!"club!

The color disappearing is normal. It's possible the Ich guard wasn't effective, and it's too early to say on the Ich X. From what I've heard, Ich often gets worse before it gets better. Have you been doing water changes every day before you add the next dose of medication? It really helps to gravel vac because you get a lot of the ich cysts off the ground.

OP
M

marcus489

Reaction score
Deku-Cory said:
Ah, welcome to the "Oh no, I have ich!"club!

The color disappearing is normal. It's possible the Ich guard wasn't effective, and it's too early to say on the Ich X. From what I've heard, Ich often gets worse before it gets better. Have you been doing water changes every day before you add the next dose of medication? It really helps to gravel vac because you get a lot of the ich cysts off the ground.
Okay thanks. I also heard that it gets worse before it gets better, but I wasn't so sure. Since it's only been 2 or 3 days with ich x I have some hope. I'll be sure to vacuum the gravel as best as possible.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom