Several platy ?s - pregnancy, fin rot, tempermental heater

Yemminie

Reaction score
HI everyone!

I posted a question about one of my new platys on Monday on the fish disease board, and now I have some more about this same poorly fish.

Ok, so I bought a pregnant female platy on Sunday, along with another female, and a male. They are the only fish in a 10 gallon uncycled tank. I've been checking the water constantly. As of about 10 minutes ago, the pH is 7.4, the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all 0, and the temperature is 78. By Monday evening, this pregnant female developed a white spot on her tail. By all accounts, it seemed to be fungus. I went to the LFS yesterday when I got home from work and bought Fungus Clear and NovAqua+, and treated the tank. Other than this white spot, everyone seemed to be doing fine, very lively, good appetites. This morning, she still had the white spot, only it looked like the tissue under it had started to deteriorate. I should also mention at this point that I have been having big problems with my tank heater - the darn thing won't stabilize, and I don't know if that is contributing to the problem. I set it on the lowest possible setting (there are no specific temperature markings, just lines), and it kept going back and forth between 78 and 82. I wasn't *too* terribly concerned about that, since those are ok temps for platys. But this morning, when I woke up, the temperature was at 88 degrees! I was horrified, and greatly relieved that all 3 were ok, but since I had to leave for work, the only thing I could do was unplug the heater and hope for the best. I don't know if that has contributed to the tail problem. Anyway, when I got home from work today, the whole part of the tail that was originally under the small white spot is gone, and there's a white edge to the missing section. So I guess now it's looking like tail rot? The Fungus Clear says it treats that too, so I've got my fingers crossed that that stops ASAP. Also, when I got home from work, my poor little fishy looked a lot thinner than she had and her gravid spot is definitely smaller. She seemed to be holding her fins close to her body too, and she seemed very anxious when I approached the tank and didn't relax til I walked away (the other 2 haven't behaved like that). I have looked all over the tank and in the filter, and I don't see any fry, so is it possible that the stress from her tail, the medicine, and the ridiculously fluctuating temperature caused her to abort and reabsorb the fry? Should I keep looking for fry? After taking note of all this, I fed them, and she ate normally and swam energetically around and she seems to have perked up.

I hope I'm not making a big thing out of nothing, but she just doesn't seem to be very happy, and I would hate to lose here. ??? It's just that my fish experience is limited to a betta in a 5 gallon tank that I had for 3 years in college (and some fish tanks that we had when I was a kid, but I had no responsibility for them), and I never had the first problem with him. These platys are much trickier! I really want to do right by them, which is why I'm here. I'd be grateful for any advice or suggestions. And if anyone has any thoughts about the heater problem, too, that would be wonderful.

Thank you so much!

Sarah

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
did you ever see black dots in her stomach?

if she did drop any live fry, they could be very hard to find and we often have to take all the decor out of the tank to find them all. IF she aborted them, they made snacks for the platys. i've not had a white spot like that come along, but i'd be treating with fungus clear too. I hope it'll have her fin recovering soon.

If you can do a DFS order - you might want to get VitaChem for the water and a VisiTherm stealth heater. Both would be good for her. I've seen our platys regrow entire lost fins with no treatment, so once the cause is knocked out, her fin should regrow in a month or 2.

OP
Y

Yemminie

Reaction score
I didn't ever see black dots in her stomach - I think she still had a little ways to go. Ah well, better luck next time, and since she's a platy, I'm sure there will be a next time.

The white spot and deteriorating tail tissue continues. The fungus clear hasn't stopped it, and I took the charcoal out of the filter before I put in the tablet, so the medication was definitely in there. The box says I can add another dose four days after the first, so that's tomorrow. I've left the charcoal out so that the medication could continue to work, but it doesn't seem to be doing well, so I think another dose will be needed. Otherwise, she seems fine - she's definitely relaxed since the other day, and she's really lively. The other two still aren't showing any signs of any problems, so I've got my fingers crossed that they'll continue to be ok.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
it does take 2 doses sometimes. hopefully it will work and you won't need stronger meds for her.

do you have any pics of her we could look at?

OP
Y

Yemminie

Reaction score
Here's the best picture that I've been able to get of her. The missing corner of her tail is pretty clear in the photo, but it doesn't really show that the tissue along the edge of the missing part is white.

And, if it's helpful, here's one that I managed to get of her the day that I first posted in the disease forum. The white spot is just visible.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok.. I was imagining a really big hole in her fin.. looks like she'll regrow that no problem once the disease is knocked out. The white along the edge of the missing part - would you say it's in the area that she lost? if so, it could be regrowth. it sounds like it's not from your earlier post tho, so we'll hope the 2nd dose does the trick. Looking at it, it really does look like fungus and you're using the right med for her. if you don't have some on hand, whenever you can afford to buy some, I'd recommend getting some maracyn, maracyn-2 and parasite clear, along with some gel-tek antibiotics that you put on food. That'd really stock you up for a majority of what could come along.

OP
Y

Yemminie

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, it turns out that Stirling (I guess I should start using her name!) had live fry! Very exciting! At least one has survived. Poor little baby, he's going to have to fend for himself since I can't set up a nursery right now. I live in a tiny apartment, and I'm not sure where I'd put it! I've got my fingers crossed for him, though. Hopefully he won't become a snack for Venice or York, but he seems to be incredibly good at hiding. He's taken up residence inside a little cave that I have in there, and it's dark and the adults never go in there. I'm not sure what he's eating though. Maybe flake particles that have drifted to the bottom.

I'm going to do a water change this afternoon and re-treat the tank. Thank you for your help again!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would you have room for one of those little 1 gallon or 2.5g tanks? for fry you won't need a big nursery. really any small container even that you could put a filter and heater and airstone into would work.

or

Would you be able to get one of the breeder boxes (the one that is basically a net in box shape) to hook to the side of the tank? The fry often don't eat for a day or 2 after being dropped, then he'll need to start going out more for food. hikarI first bites are good if you can find it.. or flakes ground to powder.

OP
Y

Yemminie

Reaction score
Wow, not one, not two, but eleven little fry have survived so far. Turns out they had buried themselves in the spaces in the gravel. I'm amazed that I hadn't seen one until today with that many in there! When I was vacuuming the gravel during the water change, they all started to emerge, and I didn't have the heart to leave them in there, so I removed Stirling, Venice, and York and all the plants, and chased the little guys down. Now they're in a tupperware until I can go get an appropriate home for them. Sounds like the breeding net is the best option, so I'm on my way to Petco to get one. I'm going to visit my parents tomorrow, and they have a 1 gallon tank, so I might pick that up while I'm there, as long as I can figure out where to put it!

What am I going to do with 11 fry? They are too cute though! I'm sure they're all traumatized after being chased down, poor things. Does this make me a grandmother? At the ripe old age of 24, haha. Guess it's time for a glass of champagne...

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The fry are excellent at hiding. we always had to take everything out to find them all. (If your filter intake wasn't covered with netting, you might check inside the filter housing while it's temporarily turned off too.) and platys can drop fry over the course of days so we'd do that each day for a few days after finding the 1st fry. That 1 gallon tank would probably be the best for them, it would be easier to feed them crushed flakes or the hikarI first bites and/or liquifry if you can find it.

The LFS will take them usually, but they'll not have a big chance of survival until they're like 6 months old or so, I think. Your pregnant mama should give you fry every 25 days or so for a while.

OP
Y

Yemminie

Reaction score
They are indeed. Turns out there are 13 - I found another one in the water from the water change, and then I discovered another one today that I missed yesterday. I haven't been able to catch him yet. I'm going to do a small water change tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to catch him then. I made a bunch of powdered food, a combination of flakes and shrimp pellets, and a few of them figured out the whole eating thing right away, but the others are taking a bit longer to realize that they need to swim to the top to eat. So now I've started putting some in the water so some of the particles sink for the slow learners. They're really funny, and every time I wander over to the tank, I have to count them.

Stirling's tail is still losing tissue. Not a huge amount, but it's definitely worse every day. I've treated the tank twice with fungus clear, the water is bright blue, and it doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions for other meds I can try? The ammonia is starting to spike - it was at .25ppm yesterday - so I wonder if that's contributing to the problem.

Now I'm off to my parents' house for the small tank that they have. Venice, the other female, is getting fatter by the minute, so I expect I'll be chasing down more fry any day now.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maracyn & Maracyn-2 together or Trisulfa might be the next step for Stirling. You could treat the water in the little tank with novaqua+ or prime before starting the treatment. the ammonia could be a factor, but it's not too bad, so I think it's really a matter of treating her with meds and clean water.

New Threads