Setup/cycle

Lorraine.Kelly
HI
I’m new here so sorry if this has been covered time and again. It’s a long story
I am currently about to setup and cycle a new 190litre ciano tank.
It is going to be used for six goldfish who for the last four years have been living in a pond in my greenhouse with an external filter and air stones.
They have thrived out there but I want to get rid of the pond.
All I have ever done is top up the pond with the garden hose, no treatments whatsoever or water changes.
My first question is can I use the filter from the pond in my tank? It is an external canister filter with built in UV ?
The fish have been in the house in a black bin since January with a shrimp filter and they are doing well.
The filter in the pond has been turned off since the middle of March but is still full of water and hopefully beneficial bacteria.
Can I use this to cycle my tank aswell as use the pump that came with it.
I have tested the water the fish are in and the ammonia is 0 As is the nitrites.
Hopefully this makes sense to someone lol
I have had these fish even before I had a filter in the pond, one of them is nearly 10 years old from my first version of my pond.
It evolved for the last time Oct 2016 so it was well cycled.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I’m at odds with all the info online about these topics they just seem to contradict each other no end

Coradee
Welcome to Fishlore, hope you get some responses today

Esimm03
HI
I’m new here so sorry if this has been covered time and again. It’s a long story
I am currently about to setup and cycle a new 190litre ciano tank.
It is going to be used for six goldfish who for the last four years have been living in a pond in my greenhouse with an external filter and air stones.
They have thrived out there but I want to get rid of the pond.
All I have ever done is top up the pond with the garden hose, no treatments whatsoever or water changes.
My first question is can I use the filter from the pond in my tank? It is an external canister filter with built in UV ?
The fish have been in the house in a black bin since January with a shrimp filter and they are doing well.
The filter in the pond has been turned off since the middle of March but is still full of water and hopefully beneficial bacteria.
Can I use this to cycle my tank aswell as use the pump that came with it.
I have tested the water the fish are in and the ammonia is 0 As is the nitrites.
Hopefully this makes sense to someone lol
I have had these fish even before I had a filter in the pond, one of them is nearly 10 years old from my first version of my pond.
It evolved for the last time Oct 2016 so it was well cycled.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I’m at odds with all the info online about these topics they just seem to contradict each other no end
Hi,
You should be able to use the filter from your pond... If it fits and provides required circulation.

There should be some BB left in the filter if it's been submerged in water. I'd set up the tank and put some ammonia in, or food in and wait until the ammonia rises. If it falls again in the next few days then there is beneficial bacteria. I guess you are familiar with the nitrogen cycle and a cycles tanks peramiters?

Any more questions please feel free to ask me.

Ethan

Lorraine.Kelly
Thanks a million for your reply
Yes I have done a lot of reading on the nitrogen cycle which I have never used myself with pond or my 30 litre tank.
I’ve never had any issues with death or disease and all the levels have been spot on. Lucky I guess
The filter I have been using in my pond is a pond solutions external EF1+ 1000l/ph with UV and Charcoal.
It is still full of pond water at the moment to keep the bacteria alive hopefully.
I got tetra quick start I was hoping to use that when I fill the tank and start the filter and leave it fof a few days with no fish to see what the levels are.
Not to be negative/bitchy but there is so much conflicting information about what to do online, it’s very hard to determine what’s right and what’s wrong. It seems everyone’s experiences are different

Welcome to Fishlore, hope you get some responses today
Thank you so much

Esimm03
Thanks a million for your reply
Yes I have done a lot of reading on the nitrogen cycle which I have never used myself with pond or my 30 litre tank.
I’ve never had any issues with death or disease and all the levels have been spot on. Lucky I guess
The filter I have been using in my pond is a pond solutions external EF1+ 1000l/ph with UV and Charcoal.
It is still full of pond water at the moment to keep the bacteria alive hopefully.
I got tetra quick start I was hoping to use that when I fill the tank and start the filter and leave it fof a few days with no fish to see what the levels are.
Not to be negative/bitchy but there is so much conflicting information about what to do online, it’s very hard to determine what’s right and what’s wrong. It seems everyone’s experiences are different

Thank you so much
Ok, the filter should be fine, just be sure to have lots of mechanical filtration such as corse cermaic rings to harbour the BB (the sponges will do it too... I know what you mean with conflicting information , when I set up my reef tank it was super annoying, you find your own way there in the end, it's like different recepies they all. One good thing you can shop is ask to see a pic of someone's tank, if it looks good and healthy, their method works, of it is full of diseases and algae and looks bad it doesn't, simple.

Just so you can take my advice...
Pic attached

By charcoal do you mean activated carbon?

I use all pond solutions in my tank, they make really good and solid filters.

There's a method called phantom feeding, which is when you out a small amount of food in the tank and let it produce ammonia, if the ammonia goes then you should be able to add fish, I'd add them one every day or so... To let the bacteria get used to the increased bioload.
Alternatively you can buy pure ammonia and put a few drops in, and raise the ammonia to say 0.50 or something, and see if it goes down.

Also, a bit of advice... Don't be stupid like me and accidentally pour the whole food tub into the tank

Ethan
IMG_20180403_194805.jpg

Lorraine.Kelly
Carbon!! Duh
Plenty of ceramic rings, bio balls, uv. It filters 1000l/ph so my tank is 190l it should be plenty I think.
Your tank looks great
I won’t be filling it until next week I still have to get my plants delivered and new hoses for my filter

Attachments

• D282F935-36EC-48D9-B08A-61801FCBD3BF.jpeg
    D282F935-36EC-48D9-B08A-61801FCBD3BF.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 35
Esimm03
Carbon!! Duh
Plenty of ceramic rings, bio balls, uv. It filters 1000l/ph so my tank is 190l it should be plenty I think.
Your tank looks great
I won’t be filling it until next week I still have to get my plants delivered and new hoses for my filter
, carbon is great, I only run it in my reef, not my fw tank and it does a really nice job of keeping algae at bay.... Please keep updating when you get your filter parts and plants, I'd like to see the tank progress .

If you have any questions please ask.

Ethan

Lorraine.Kelly
, carbon is great, I only run it in my reef, not my fw tank and it does a really nice job of keeping algae at bay.... Please keep updating when you get your filter parts and plants, I'd like to see the tank progress .

If you have any questions please ask.

Ethan

Will do thanks very much

Paulsz
So you probably won't need to use the UV anymore, since they're indoors. Unless they are by a window/source of sunliight. But you can still use it nonetheless to keep the water nice and clear. It just won't have as big an effect as it did outside in the pond. What kind of goldfish are these? 190L (approx 45-50 gallons isn't big enough for 6 common/comet goldfish. These guys get about 10-12" long and need plenty of room to swim.

Lorraine.Kelly
So you probably won't need to use the UV anymore, since they're indoors. Unless they are by a window/source of sunliight. But you can still use it nonetheless to keep the water nice and clear. It just won't have as big an effect as it did outside in the pond. What kind of goldfish are these? 190L (approx 45-50 gallons isn't big enough for 6 common/comet goldfish. These guys get about 10-12" long and need plenty of room to swim.

I have two fancy tail ones
Two shubunkin
Two tiny little normals
They have been with me years
They were in an 8ft long x 2ft wide pond that was a foot deep.
The uv was brilliant in the pond no nasty green water.
I know people say that the tank is too small for that amount and I know they grow quite big but the two tiny fellas are around 5 years old now and are about 2 inches long. The big fella is nearly 10 years old and he is quite big about 5 inches long the tiny lads are about 2 years and are 1 inch. The other fancy tail is 2inches.
My point is they don’t grow that fast.
The filter was perfect for the pond which held more than the tank they are going into.
It will be interesting to see how fast they grow in the tank. If need be I will rehome them if they begging to suffer.
No cruelt here

pugletfan
I wonder if you could move the current filter that you have running with them to your 190 liter tank when you move the fish? It should have some good beneficial bacteria on it.

Welcome to Fishlore!!!

Lorraine.Kelly
I wonder if you could move the current filter that you have running with them to your 190 liter tank when you move the fish? It should have some good beneficial bacteria on it.

Welcome to Fishlore!!!

For sure I will it’s a great little filter
Thanks a million

Esimm03
I agree.... I don't use UV and my tank is right by a window and I don't have much algae. It's up to you but not 100% necessary.

Ethan

Lorraine.Kelly
HI everyone I have finally set up my 190 litre tank please see pic

I have used my pond solutions ef+1000 external filter which has been in my pond for two years so it’s loaded with good bacteria . I changed two foams which were awful but left one in it not washed and the ceramic rings not washed and bio balls not washed.
I’m thinking about using safe start to boost even more good stuff.
I need a bit of advice on what I should do?
I have 4 White Cloud Mountain minnows
1 betta
1 pleco in another tank
I want to transfer them but I’m afraid .
Any help would be greatly appreciated
I have searched for ammonia everywhere and can’t get it .
Thanks in advance for any help
IMG_5878.JPG

seth rodgers
In my opinion I like to be more safe then sorry so I let my 20 gallon cycle for a week. Make sure to test all aspects of your water before you add fish (either at a pet store or get test strips) then once everything is level you should be good to add fish. I would add them a couple at a time (wait two days or so in between) but that's just me

Hunter1
HI everyone I have finally set up my 190 litre tank please see pic

I have used my pond solutions ef+1000 external filter which has been in my pond for two years so it’s loaded with good bacteria . I changed two foams which were awful but left one in it not washed and the ceramic rings not washed and bio balls not washed.
I’m thinking about using safe start to boost even more good stuff.
I need a bit of advice on what I should do?
I have 4 White Cloud Mountain minnows
1 betta
1 pleco in another tank
I want to transfer them but I’m afraid .
Any help would be greatly appreciated
I have searched for ammonia everywhere and can’t get it .
Thanks in advance for any helpView attachment 429342
Nice!

You’ll need ammonia, either from fish, a bottle or rotting fish food, something to feed your beneficial bacteria. Me I would add fish in your setup.

But personally I wouldn’t use media from an outdoor pond to start my tank. But I have no experience doing so, so it may be fine.

Lorraine.Kelly
In my opinion I like to be more safe then sorry so I let my 20 gallon cycle for a week. Make sure to test all aspects of your water before you add fish (either at a pet store or get test strips) then once everything is level you should be good to add fish. I would add them a couple at a time (wait two days or so in between) but that's just me

Thanks it was an indoor pond but too much work
The Minnows were in the pond so was the pleco with the filter.
It’s so confusing what to do
I’m going to put in safe start tonight and add the minnows tomorrow I think .

Hunter1
I think you’ll be fine.

The pond was cycled?

Lorraine.Kelly
I think you’ll be fine.

The pond was cycled?

For sure it was running for two years no hassle at all from it.
Very hard to get a handle on this ha ha.
I never cycled my 30 litre I have that since November I think and it’s grand no deaths disease or missing persons lol

seth rodgers
You should be fine, good luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Phillip J. Fry
  • Question
55 Gallon Tank Cycling a 55 Gallon
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
Replies