Setting Up Second Filter Cartridge For Cycle

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Tristen, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Tristen Valued Member Member

I cycled my first tank which is 40 gallons. I use a tetra whisper 40i filter and used the cartridge that came with it. Not until after I did the whole cycle and bought some fish I realized I needed a new tank for quarantine. How long do I have to leave a new filters cartidge in with my old filter cartridge before it’s cycled?

2. Fishbro5 Valued Member Member

I would wait a couple of weeks. You want your Beneficial Bacteria on your new cartridge to be established. Your tank will actually cycle pretty quickly with an already established cartridge in the filter, but I assume you want the new cartridge to be established so you can run both tanks without a problem. Hope this helps :emoji_smiley:

3. smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

About 2 weeks should be enough.

4. Skavatar Well Known Member Member

5. Tristen Valued Member Member

6. Islandvic Well Known Member Member

Skavatar advised the cartridges were "a waste of money" because for the same price as a pack of cartridges, you can buy other types of media once to put in your filter that are re-usable, and will mechanically and biologically filter the the water better.

The video and the link to the thread in the forum he gave in his post show you how to do that.

Also, when cartridges get to a point they have to be discarded and replaced, you're throwing all your beneficial bacteria away.

7. Skavatar Well Known Member Member

the factory cartridges contain carbon which needs to be replaced every 6-8 weeks. even if you cut it open and throw out the carbon, the fiber material would only last a few months. where as the ceramic beads will last for years. like Islandvic said, you'll be throwing away your beneficial bacteria.

a giant bag ($9), its almost 3' tall, of polyfill has lasted me many months and im not even half way through with it, replacing the polyfill on three 20i filters every week.