Setting up Q tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gwenz, May 21, 2006.

1. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

About a week ago, I bought a small tank which I would be using for a Q tank(6.6Gallons). The ones that were on display in the shop all had backing in them, and the boxes were sealed shut so I couldn't open it to check the tank. It came with a heater, filter and various other things, so I bought it. The first one I got didn't have a heater in it, so I had to take it back and get another one that had a heater in it. When I got the tank home I washed everything and started setting up the tank, when I realized it had a mirrored back, which there was no mention of on the box or anywhere else :eek:.

Anyway I continued to set up the tank and put the water in with some dechlorinates, and started cycling (fishless). The tank is in my room and the first night the filter was too loud and kept me up so I had to switch it off. Next day I put it further under water and that seemed to help. I then realized the water flow was too strong, from the filter and that there was just too much water movement. ::)

Next problem :( - I realized that if I was going to put a Betta in there while I was cycling another tank to put him in with some Corrie's, I couldn't put him in there with a mirrored back. :-\

I posted many questions here asking what I could do, and today I finally sorted it. I emptied the tank and put in a background inside the tank with some aquarium sealant, which I have to wait for 48 hours before putting water in there again. I also bought a new filter to put in there. It's a Interpet PF Mini filter which I can control the water flow with. :)

When I put water in there on Tuesday, I will have to start cycling again with the new filter. I will have to put the gravel and the rocks and the fake plants back in too, after I have washed them again. :)

It's my birthday on Thursday so I will be getting the tank which I will be putting the Betta and some Corrie's in then. I think it will be quite a lot of work cycling 2 tanks at once, so I might wait until the Q tank is cycled and put the Betta in, and then cycling the other tank and putting the Corrie's in and then adding the Betta sometime later.

I though I'd write this so I could keep track of everything I'm doing while setting it up.

Gwenz :)

P.S. - This is really long, I didn't think I would write quite as much much!!! ;) ;D

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like a good plan. I'm sorry you've had so many problems. Tank kits are supposed to help provide you with all you need, not give you more headaches! Good luck!

3. CraigWell Known MemberMember

wild guess here but was the filter u got with the tank a fluval ??

C W

4. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I know you have had a really long, tough time getting it all ready for the set-up. This is all going to be worth it I promise when you can get your cycle done and the fish in your tanks. It shouldn't be much more work, though, to cycle two tanks at once; once you get the set-up done. Just the testing, since there really isn't much water changing going on while you are cycling because you don't want to disturb the bacteria growth. If you were doing a cycle with fish in the tank it would be very different, but fishless cycles are not that much maintenance, just testing. If you are doing the flake food cycling though, just be sure that it doesn't clog your filter. It is easier to do the Ammonia cycle, but I guess most people have a problem finding pure ammonia. I found it right away. I don't know why most grocery stores don't carry it anymore. Just remember to try to keep your temperature up to about 28 degrees C. (82 degrees F) as that is the temperature the bacteria likes to grow at.

Good luck and enjoy your tank and fish when you get them. I hope you have a great time shopping for your fish. This is the fun time when you can really start to plan and spend time with the set-up. Enjoy!!!!

Rose
    :)

5. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

Thanks everyone.

No, it was a Rena Filstar i1, internal filter. Why did you think it was a fluval? Aren't they very good? ???

Maybe I will cycle the other tank at the same time. It'll mean getting my fish sooner. ;D My mum found the tank I want online for £20 cheaper than in my lfs. It's comming tomorrow! ;D Now all I need is to buy the stand from my lfs.

6. CraigWell Known MemberMember

some fluvals i heard can b noisy at times but my fluval is gr8 lol

C W

7. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

I set everything up today,(Putt the water and decorations in etc.) So far so good. The filter is making kind of bubbling noise though. :-\ Why could this be? When I put my finger a few cm in front of it, it stops and is then quite a quiet filter. I sthere something I could do about this?

I don't seem to be having much joy with filters. :(

Thanks

8. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Did you think you could try the trick with the soda bottle deflector that ebbandflow suggested in his post about a treat for the Bettas. It would divert the flow and also be a bit of a muffler for the flow to cut down on the sound.

https://www.fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2564.0

It doesn't look that hard to do and it could be a solution to your problem.

Rose

9. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

A deflector came with it. It seems to have quietened down now though. Maybe it was just making a noise because it was new. :)

Gwenz :) ;D

PS:- My new tank and stand has arrived just on time for my b-day!! ;D

10. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Great! What a good birthday gift!

Happy Birthday!

Rose

11. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

Just tested the water levels of the Q tank :-

Nitrate : 5.0
    Nitrite : 0.25
    PH : 7.0
    Ammonia : 0.25

(According to the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Test Kits)

12. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

You're getting there. Just a while yet.

Rose
    ;)

13. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

Yes. Will be testing again later today. I will post the results again.

14. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

I have tested the water levels of the Q tank :-

Nitrate : 10.0
    Nitrite : 0.5

15. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

10/6/06

Nitrate : 10.0
    Nitrite : 0.5

This is wierd, nothings changed for a week. Is this right?

16. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

Tank finaly cycled after 5 weeks !! :) ;D :D

22/6/06

Nitrate : 5.0
    Nitrite : 0
    Ammonia : 0

Gwenz :) ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice