Setting Up Pseudomugil Gertrudae 10 Gallon. What Do I Need?

What foods do I feed the Gertrudae?

• Total voters

Tylcas

I am setting up a 10 gallon aquarium and I am going to get Pseudomugil Gertrudae (Spotted Blue Eye Rainbow) and I need some help.

The tank is the Top Fin 10 gallon starter kit, so I will only have a 10 gallon filter. I will be planting the tank, but I do not know which plants to use. I do not know which tank mates I can have, and I also would like to know how to breed them because a group of 3 costs like 20 dollars. I also need to know if they eat fish flakes, live/frozen food, or both.

Thanks for reading and hopefully replying

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known
I would run the tank low tech- no co2, low lighting, floating plants like duckweed will make them comfortable. Plants like anubias and java fern will do good, hornwort, water sprite, and java moss will help protect any fry.

In a 10 gallon I would just keep them as a feature fish, especially if you want to breed them. You could possibly keep some shrimp and snails with them, or some nano bottom dwellers such as rosy loaches or scarlet badis.

In order to breed them, condition them with lots of live and frozen food. Keep their water at the warmer end (around 80-82 degrees) and keep a small group of 1 male and 2 females. If their water is clean, they often will spawn with these conditions and scatter their eggs in a plant like moss or hornwort. You can remove the eggs, or keep them in and have some fry survive but some get eaten.

Most will eat flakes, however it is always good to provide live and frozen foods for optimum health.

OP
Tylcas

Tylcas

By "low light" do you mean have a not so bright light, or just have a medium to high light but have it turned off for a while?

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known
DisIsAbyss said:
By "low light" do you mean have a not so bright light, or just have a medium to high light but have it turned off for a while?
Low light as in a light that isn't as bright or strong. Lighting doesn't really matter much, unless you intend to breed, but low light tanks tend to have much more success than high light, high co2, high fert tanks when it comes to breeding.

OP
Tylcas

Tylcas

I think my light might be a high light, so could I possibly get something to put over the bulbs like black plastic and glue it on?

Also this is my first tank of my own, even though my family has a 55 gallon and I do lots of research, so I need beginner level plants. Would Anubias Nana, Java Fern, and Hornwort be enough or would I need more types of plants?

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known
DisIsAbyss said:
I think my light might be a high light, so could I possibly get something to put over the bulbs like black plastic and glue it on?
DisIsAbyss said:
Also this is my first tank of my own, even though my family has a 55 gallon and I do lots of research, so I need beginner level plants. Would Anubias Nana, Java Fern, and Hornwort be enough or would I need more types of plants?
No need to worry about the light- just have some plants on the top of the water (hornwort would work) to help diffuse the light for breeding. The plants you have listed would most certainly work, you could add more but it isn't necessary.

OP
Tylcas

Tylcas

If I think the fish breed too much, what could I do to make them stop? Feed less live/frozen, change temp, or remove hornwort?

If I ordered a group of 3 from the site AquaticArts, wold they probably breed within a month if I have everything set up correctly? I want them to breed quick because I think they live for about a year or two.

I cannot find anywhere near me that sells Hornwort, could I use Water Wisteria as a replacement?

I actually just found a nice way to make a chunk of money (selling some sort of special edition nintendo 3ds for like 145 dollars) so I can get more fish, more plants, and better foods.

Should I get MopanI Wood? I heard that you can get rid of the tannin by letting it lie down in a container of water for a day or two.

I am setting up a 10 gallon aquarium and I am going to get Pseudomugil Gertrudae (Spotted Blue Eye Rainbow) and I need some help.

The tank is the Top Fin 10 gallon starter kit, so I will only have a 10 gallon filter. I will be planting the tank with Java Fern, Anubias Nana, and Water Wisteria. I'll get Java Moss when I can find some. I can feed them fish flakes for MOST of the time, but when I want them to breed, I should probably be feeding them live foods. What live foods do they like the most? I may or may not get tank mates. I'm really looking for a cleanup crew (hopefully something cheap). What should I have the parameters at? If they overbreed, should I sell the fry to a lfs? Speaking of fry, I just want a couple extra fish, not a full on breeding project. I will get 6 for the 10 gal. Anything I missed/need to know? Let me know!

Thanks for reading and hopefully replying

I'll also be getting MopanI Wood, and I know to put the wood into a container of water for a day or two to let the tannins leech out. Is this correct?

tjander

Well Known
Get a bigger tank 10 gallon will get really crowded fast, with a small filter it’s tough to keep your water clean. Bigger tank more money but really much easier to keep.

OP
Tylcas

Tylcas

I don't think I'll be able to upgrade from my 10 just because of money and space... What I'll probably do with the fish after they breed and get to a decent size I'll probably sell them to my LFS.

New Threads