Setting up new tank- questions

1. FreshFishes

FreshFishes Valued Member Member

Ok, so I posted a thread about stocking earlier in a 20 gallon high, but have changed the plan to a 29 gallon. I'm moving into a new and bigger home soon, about two weeks. Space isn't an issue. Any suggestions on heater, filter, lighting, etc? I haven't figured out the lighting yet, and I've been researching and thinking about the Aqueon Quietflow 20 or 30. Anyone had any experience with these?
    I am going to try sand substrate with root tabs (opinions?) Also, I am going to move my mopani driftwood with an Anubias Frazier and temple plants on it, but I'd like to have more plants to fill in the space.
    I was thinking about Amazon sword, Java fern, and some more of an Anubias plant (nana or Frazier).
    So far, my stocking plan is the same:
    6-7 platties
    5-6 otocincluses
    1 bristlenose pleco
    I was wondering if I could also put a betta into this tank? I know it would be at stocking limit, and was wondering if the bio load would also be too much with that many platties. If I could add a betta, should it be male or female? I will have a quarantine tank in case things don't work out.
    So my water parameters would be as follows:
    78 degrees Fahrenheit
    pH 7.2 to 7.4
    Medium water hardness (8 dh)
    Does anyone have any opinions or critiques on this set up?
    Thanks so much!
    -Potato

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. OP
    OP
    FreshFishes

Update: so for my filter I will either go with an Aqueon Quietflow 30, or a marineland penguin biowheel 200. Not sure which yet but leaning towards the marineland one bc I am more familiar with the biowheel filters
    For my heater I am going with Aqueon pro 150 watts, heard good things
    No idea for hood or lighting. Any suggestions?
    -Potato

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

If you're going with the Marineland, I'd go one up and get the 350. You'd be underfiltered with the 200.

For those plants you're going to grow, I would get the Finnex Planted+ and the Aqueon Versa top glass lid.

I wouldn't risk putting a betta in there and depending on the oto species, they wouldn't be temp compatible anyway.

5. OP
    OP
    FreshFishes

Thank you! I was rethinking the betta thing, thinking it would be too risky. I'll just stick with the platies, bristlenose, and otos. The otos are 'common otos' or otocinclus vittatus.
    -Potato

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

7. Lenn777

Lenn777 New Member Member

More filtration the better.