20 Gallon Tank Setting Up New Aquarium With Sand Substrate

CoryB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi Everyone,

I'll soon be setting up a 20 gallon High Freshwater aquarium and I already have a new bag of Carib Sea sand substrate. I have not yet decided on or purchased any decorations such as Driftwood, Rocks, Plants, etc.

Would it make sense to go ahead and rinse my sand, add it to tank and fill the tank with water and let cycle for a bit first? Then can I later, in a few days, possibly weeks add the driftwood, rocks, plants? or is it best to have everything and setup all at the same time?

Fishy McGee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It makes the most sense to rinse the sand, add the water, decorate, and let it cycle over time as you said as the first option. It helps to narrow down parameters with the water before and after the addition of certain elements. It helps give a basis before stocking and gives bacteria time to grow.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I see no problems at all with going ahead and getting your cycle started. Adding your deco gradually shouldn't be a problem at all as long as you clean them well before putting them in there. If you have to wash them put some of your dechlorinator in the final rinse water if you have chlorine in your source water..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom