Setting up new 3G

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Joel2036, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Joel2036

Joel2036 Valued Member Member

Hey I just found this potting mix in my backyard (parent use it for the plants)
    And I was just wondering if it would be safe for my tank ?
    I googled it and I couldn't find anything helpful ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356233373.484139.jpg
    And would gravel or sand be best to cap it ?

2. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I am not familiar with that brand. I used a potting soil that had " organic" on the packaging. It was a generic brand from Lowe's. I capped it with sand.

I think you will probably be okay with it, but wait for other replies.

3. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thanks Oscar I think it should be ok aswell it does say on the bad it is organic and natural and stuff, and I can't see anywhere where it says anything about added chemicals so I'll give it a go :)

4. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

All done :) put some cycled media in it and now just gonna wait for the cycle then to add the shrimp ! Woo

Got a ball of java moss the size of a tennis ball to cover the rock in the centre which should look good :) then a few more plants after Christmas ! Woo !

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356242449.944318.jpg

5. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

Looks good. Love the rock. It'll look really good with the moss on it.:;th

6. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

Wish I'd seen this earlier, but the "controlled release fertilizer" and the "water storing crystals" both give me pause. I wouldn't have used it. Keep a close eye on your livestock.

7. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

I actually had the same thought !! After looking at it for about an hour it took it all out and just done a mix of different gravels, I wanted to be safe then sorry, I will do my first dirted tank when I acting have the right supplies, thanks for your worries tho :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice