Setting up new 30 gallon aquarium

AquascapingTAAB

Reaction score
I have had a 5 gallon with gravel and 1 betta for years. Later I changed to adding a Java Fern, Otto catfish, snails and Rasboras.

In the next week or so, I am looking forward to setting up a new 30 gallon aquarium starting with the bottom fully covered with CaribSea RhyzoMat, sprinkled with Flora-Spore, next layered with Seachem Flourite Dark substrate, followed by (1) medium Manzanita driftwood, (3) Dragon stones I would arrange. I next plan to put in between 5-6 low tech plants including Corkscrew Val in the background, Java Ferns glued to places on stones and /or driftwood, Anubias Coffeefolia in the midground, Crypt Red Wendtii and possibly Anubias Nana in the foreground and possibly either Java or Taiwan Moss glued to points on stones or driftwood. I would be using a Current LED lamp which I am assuming will provide an adequate amount of light for the plants I am considering. My plan is to just let the ecosystem settle for a couple months before even considering adding fish.

Eric14123456789

Valued Member
Reaction score
I love it! Just make sure that some of the taller plants don't cover the shorter ones too much. Also java ferns have a slow growth rate so make sure to give them as much light as possible. You could use some liquid ferts bc they're not too difficult to use to speed up the growing but that totally optional in your case

AquascapingTAAB

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response and input. When I started with a 5 Gallon Marineland tank with the included LED light, filter and regular gravel Sept 2016, it was with the intention of keeping a single betta. As time went on, I switched over to a couple Ottos, Rasboras and added Java Ferns and Jungle Vals. After getting 3 years experience of maintaining a spreadsheet measuring temperature, pH, Ammonia, Nitrates, I decided to go for the 30 Gallon (36"x12") rectangular setup with the intention of focusing first on Aquascaping and starting with covering the entire bottom with CaribSea Rhyzomat, sprinkling Flora-Spore, and next adding SeaChem Flourite Dark porous clay. This new setup will include a Current Model 4007 25 Watt LED setup which should now more than suffice for low tech plants requiring low to medium light levels. I have decided to also begin tracking hardness levels weekly as well. I am taking my time to prepare the driftwood, Rhyzomat by soaking them as long as suggested and will be rinsing the Seachem clay and Dragon stones. Hopefully this week I should have the Mat with biological additive, porous clay substrate, driftwood and dragon stones in place. At the same time, I should have the 5-6 plants I mentioned previously in place with the new Whisper IQ45 running. At that point, I will just let nature's cycling work for possibly a couple months before considering adding fish to get the ecosystem in balance. I am really looking forward to enjoying the beauty as it comes together in time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom