setting up my tank again 55 Gallon Tank

1. sylice8 Member Member

;D;D Hi i just moved down from nashville back to tampa ya! but on the move all of my fish died:( including my RTS so im setting up my tank soon and wondering if a get another RTS can a put a few small chiclids in with i. Like maby a bumblebee chiclid or a krib do u think that would work or no

Any other sugestions? let me know

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I think the kribs would work, but skip the bumblebee cichlid. Mbuna are best kept with other Mbuna. You could look into some of the larger, tougher tetras as well, like Columbians or diamonds. Mine do great with a large severum pair so kribs and a RTS should be no problem for them.

3. sylice8 Member Member

thank u any other chichlds or other fish u can think of? like a rainbow fish? anything u can think of will help thank u very much

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

What types of fish are you interested in? Yo yo loaches could work, and they're very entertaining. I'd skip rainbows, I think they would be stressed by the RTS.

5. sylice8 Member Member

well i had rainbows with my last RTS and did fine the rainbows just saty at the middle/ top and the RTs just stayed at the bottom, but i like to have an RTS obivous and mainly chiclids but i dont know a whole lot about them except for the krib but i think the chiclids are very pretty fish and would like to have all chiclids and a RTS but dont know what kind to get with the RTS

thank you very much for ur help!

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

are all your other fish listed in your aquarium info still there?
    if so, you could try a firemouth or an angel.....

7. sylice8 Member Member

no they are not there anymore. thats why im trying to find new fish to go with the RTS

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

updating your aquarium info would help not asking silly questions ;) sorry ;D:anim_35:

9. sylice8 Member Member

:-[ sorry i forgot to update it. but i am looking for chiclids to go with my RTS i know i want a krib with it but other than that not much do u have any other suggestions for other chiclds or any other fish that u would think would work with a RTS and a Krib

thank u for the help

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

angels, gouramis, firemouths,and blood red jewel cichlids, are a few that ive kept with rts and rbs ....thanks for updating ;) now its much easier to advise when you know where to start from :)

11. sylice8 Member Member

k thank u. Do u think rainbow fish would work as well? or an electric yellow/blue chiclid. dont mean to bother u but would like ur advise!:)

12. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

The electric yellow/blue cichlids are Malawi Mbuna and are best kept with other Malawi Mbuna.

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

bother?:;dk thats what this forum is about :) helping and giving othes advice ...its never a bother :happy0064:

rainbows would be cool also...I agree with harpua on the electrics..they require different water parimeters and do not play well with other..they are a species only kind of fish

14. sylice8 Member Member

;D k thank u. so as of right now i have RTS a krib a firemouth and like 2 rainbows what do u think about that setup so far?:;dk

15. acolli51 Member Member

The severum that somebody mentioned earlier in this thread can be found in some interesting colors such as gold, green and even turquoise so that might be something you want to look at if color is a big factor for you. They get big though so keep that in mind.

16. sylice8 Member Member

k thnak u im going to get my fish this week or weekend ya!! so as of right now i have a RTS a krib a firemouth and a pair of rainbows and maby A severum idk yet and maby an angel. do u think i could put a convict chiclid in there? i als was wondering if i could have the rts with the kenyi type chiclds like bubblebee and electric chiclds would that wor if i chose to go that way?

ty very much for help;D:;hi2

17. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Rainbows like schools of at least 5-7.
    Convicts would probably work. My advice would be to stick with the SA cichlids since most of the africans require special water conditions that would conflict with the Sharks preferences.
    Good Luck

18. sylice8 Member Member

k thank u very much for ur help!!

19. sylice8 Member Member

what about all electric yellow/blue and types like him called the malawi mbuna types by themselvs with a RTS?

20. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

http://fish.mongabay.com/mbuna.htm
    Above is a good link to some information on the cichlids your asking about. I'm not a cichlid keeper but from what I understand africans (mbuna particularly) have some special needs that need to be addressed (over stocking, diet, water conditions, etc.).
    Another thing to consider is that while the RTS may be able to hold his ground based on attitude alone. They come from a very different environment then the rock and stone of Lake Malawi. RTS are from thailand rivers and flood plains, both places that are heavy in plant life, driftwood, and tannins. Below is a link to a great site for information on both these species. I'd suggest looking through the biotope area they have there and seeing for your self what sort of environments these fish come from.
    http://fish.mongabay.com

Both of the cichlids and the RTS are gorgeous fish. However IMO I would suggest that you look at one of the following idea's.
    1) An african/african species only tank: The Malawi are a beautifully colored fish with enough attitude in half a fin to rule the tank. This tank would be active and colorful and constantly interesting to watch. I believe they'll also breed fairly readily so a species only tank would have that going for it as well.
    2) An RTS with either a large school of rainbows: This combo would allow you to highlight the RTS in an environment similar to it's own. The Rainbows school would give you a beautiful range of activity and color as they move through the tank and the RTS would patrol the bottom against all challengers.
    3) An RTS with SA cichlids: Again you'd have an environment that the RTS would be happy with, and more importantly this mix of SA cichlids would allow a bit more of an agressive tank to keep things interesting. Again cichlids are awesome parents so that would allow more activity.
    4) Since you have a 55 gal i believe you could even do a combination of idea's 2 and 3 if you wished. Just be sure to keep your rainbow school at a minimum of five. Some other species I know go well with RTS are, Tiger Barbs, Paradise fish, convicts.

Take care and I wish you the best of luck.