Setting up my second tank.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Sedubius, Apr 21, 2012.

1. S

Sedubius Valued Member Member

Hello I'm going to purchase my second tank to house my betta who has spent her life so far in my bowl. I already have a cycled 37g and am wondering what the quickest way to cycle my new one will be.

I am buying a 5g kit and am expecting it to come with a HoB filter when my other tank has a canister. I know the quickest way is to use some media from the cycled tank but the media wont fit in my HoB. Is there another way to do it or do I just put the media wherever I can fit it in the HoB?

Thank you.

2. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

You could just put the media in the new tank, or use some of the gravel instead. Have fun with the new tank.

3. OP
    OP
    S

Sedubius Valued Member Member

thank you

4. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

No problem!

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

:animal0068: Hi Sedubius - I've moved your question to the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle forum to attract a wider audience.

I agree. You could use a media bag to make it easier to remove later.

I would personally put some media in such a bag, or in brand new panty-hose and place near the new HOB intake, leave it there for a few weeks, and remove the media (put it back in your old filter) - be sure to keep an eye on parameters after you removed the seeded media, just to make sure it's cycled.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice