Question Setting up my new tank!

miishii

Reaction score
Hi! I'm setting a a new 5.5gallon for my Betta!
Just got it all filled with water and got the filter running. I also purchased a water testing kit so that I can monitor the cycling.
I just had a couple questions since I'm new to cycling a tank!

1. I only have one heater which is currently in my Bettas old tank, so if I cycle the tank without a heater, will it make a difference once I bring the heater to the new one?

2. If I should cycle with a heater, should I cycle with the fish in the tank then since I only have 1? I don't plan on using the other tank so I don't want to get a 2nd heater.

3. The filter seemed really strong so I rigged up a water bottle to help break the flow (I'll attach a picture) I secured it with a rubber band + electrical tape is that okay or is there something better I could use to keep is secure? Neither are touching the water, just holding the plastic in place.

4. Once the tank is cycled I'm considering getting tank mates for my betta. I'm looking at snails/shrimp since I'm assuming 5.5 is too small for other fish? Are other fish even ok to go with Bettas? The people at the pet store said yes to some fish but I don't know if I trust them haha.

Thanks! I know it's a lot of questions! But I want to make sure I get it right!! I can't wait to get a few more decorations to really spruce it up .
IMG_20191020_135117.jpg
IMG_20191020_135159.jpg

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
You can bring everything over from the new tank (filter, heater, substrate *put substrate in little pouch or some sleeve if you don't want it mixing* and it should cut cycling down to a few days. So with a water change or two you have a filtered tank.

But if you prefer going fishless cycle I would cycle the bacteria the temp you want the fish to be in.

OP
M

miishii

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
You can bring everything over from the new tank (filter, heater, substrate *put substrate in little pouch or some sleeve if you don't want it mixing* and it should cut cycling down to a few days. So with a water change or two you have a filtered tank.

But if you prefer going fishless cycle I would cycle the bacteria the temp you want the fish to be in.
My old tank isn't filtered, I would just do water changes, it's only 2 gallons (hence the upgrade!) So I'm not really sure how to go about things in terms of bringing stuff over. Should I bring over some of the decor and substrate + heater and see if that speeds things up? Should I do the cycle with my Betta just to keep things at the right temperature?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hmm. Does the new tank have a filter? If so then yes bring him over it is better for him to have more water and a filter in a uncycled tank rather than a smaller uncycled tank.

OP
M

miishii

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Hmm. Does the new tank have a filter? If so then yes bring him over it is better for him to have more water and a filter in a uncycled tank rather than a smaller uncycled tank.
Yes the new tank is filtered. Okay sounds good!

abbytherookiehuman

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
While it's cycling you could sit the old tank in the new tank so the water doest mix but they're both the same temp. Then once cycled you can just pour him out

The_fishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would just go with a snail or shrimps with a betta in a 5.5 just because they are more likely to act out against tank mates if they are feeling like they are competing for space.

Some bettas can be kept with other fish, but it depends on individual personality. I have an elderly male betta that has lived with many shrimp successfully and now shares his tank with four gold ring danios. Your chance of success goes up the larger your tank is. I’ve also found bettas with heavier fins tend to get tired chancing many uncatchable fast targets.

OP
M

miishii

Reaction score
abbytherookiehuman said:
While it's cycling you could sit the old tank in the new tank so the water doest mix but they're both the same temp. Then once cycled you can just pour him out
Oh that's a good idea too!!

The_fishy said:
I would just go with a snail or shrimps with a betta in a 5.5 just because they are more likely to act out against tank mates if they are feeling like they are competing for space.

Some bettas can be kept with other fish, but it depends on individual personality. I have an elderly male betta that has lived with many shrimp successfully and now shares his tank with four gold ring danios. Your chance of success goes up the larger your tank is. I’ve also found bettas with heavier fins tend to get tired chancing many uncatchable fast targets.
Yeah that's what I figured! I think I will just stick to shrimps/snails!

New Threads