Setting Up My Fluval Flex 9; First Timer, Thoughts On How It Looks?

Maryanne007

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, my first time trying to set up an aquarium. Here is what I've done so far... Is it too crowded? I have some anubias all over. After looking at pics, I kind of wish I had gone for something more natural looking with driftwood, etc., but I've spent too much to go back now. Do you think I need more gravel? i've used 10 pounds but have 10 more. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!!

nc_oc=AQmc9WBiLpvKse69YOBkWwI1JzFZi4ojytk3T1n6ZvFYPHqvFjTnlKUjmyaHYVPfZHU&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It's not too crowded. I'm guessing you'll put a betta in there? They'll like all the structure.

I'm also one who likes the natural look so I only use wood, rocks, live plants, and natural looking substrates. But if you like the colors, that's all that matters!

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's what ever you like. Just to let you know, those plants aren't suppose to be planted in the substrate, they grow on logs and rocks

Maryanne007

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Annie59 said:
It's what ever you like. Just to let you know, those plants aren't suppose to be planted in the substrate, they grow on logs and rocks
Thanks! So I have to glue them to rocks? Or how do I attach? I thought they could grow in substrate... thanks in advance!

ystrout said:
It's not too crowded. I'm guessing you'll put a betta in there? They'll like all the structure.

I'm also one who likes the natural look so I only use wood, rocks, live plants, and natural looking substrates. But if you like the colors, that's all that matters!
Thanks! Yes, thinking of a betta and maybe a few other small fish?

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Anubias CAN be planted in the substrate, but here's the problem. It can be difficult to plant them in the substrate. You have to worry about burying the roots and not the rhizome. Even if you were to bury the roots, the plant can be uprooted and float to the surface. Easiest way is to attach your anubias onto your hardscape such as rocks, wood, or decorations. You can do that by super gluing the plant or tie it with a fishing line.

Maryanne007

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
Anubias CAN be planted in the substrate, but here's the problem. It can be difficult to plant them in the substrate. You have to worry about burying the roots and not the rhizome. Even if you were to bury the roots, the plant can be uprooted and float to the surface. Easiest way is to attach your anubias onto your hardscape such as rocks, wood, or decorations. You can do that by super gluing the plant or tie it with a fishing line.
Got it, thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom