setting up my first tank 29 Gallon Tank

1. vanityisgone Initiate Member

I am getting ready to start setup on my first tank (29 g freshwater) and have a few questions about fish. I know different fish prefer different substrate and plants, etc so I figured it would be best to decide on the fish and then start my set up. I am hoping to do live plants and am planning to take this pretty slow. The fish I would like to keep are dwarf gourami, zebra loach, african butterfly and maybe a german blue ram. Can these fish live together and if so how many of each breed should be kept? I am open to other fish breeds but I don't really care for the small schooling breeds. Thank you in advance for any advice you can share.

2. Beeker Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :;hi2

It is really great that you are deciding to research these things before jumping in. :;dete
    One easy thing is the substrate. If you are going to have live plants, you will most likely want to use Eco Complete and/or Florite substrate. If not, any substrate will do. For beginners, I would recommend staying away from sand. That said, once you get your substrate in, fill your tank and start your fishless cycle. While you wait for your tank to cycle, you can think more about the fish you want to get.
    Also, when you go to the store, make sure you know what you want and why. The salespeople, more often than not, will give you bad advice. Even if they seem knowledgeable and sincere, come back to the forums and check here first. There have been too many people suckered in by salespeople and their bad information. :;juan Remember, they are in it only to sell, not to help.

3. platy ben Well Known Member Member

These fish can live together :)

I would recommend keeping the following:

1 dwarf gourami
    1 african butterfly
    4 zebra loaches
    2 blue rams

Then maybe you could get a few tetras :)

But other members will have some more ideas :)

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore :)
    Your threads have been merged with the duplicate post deleted.
    Best of luck with your tank. :)

5. rae64 Well Known Member Member

that sounds great :) however, i would have to disagree about the sand. i love my sand in my tank. it is easy to clean, but you have to make sure you get sand with large enough grains so they sink to the bottom quickly. pool filter sand works wonderfully, and you can get a 50 lb bag at pretty much any store that sells pool supplies for about 10 dollars. it is a really beautiful white color when under aquarium lighting. be sure to rinse it though! also if you just want a few plants. sand will hold them nicely as long as you add some fertilizer. good luck!

6. vanityisgone Initiate Member

plan b

So I've had to change gears on my tank. Turns out I have very hard water.And my PH runs around 7.6. Instead of fighting my PH with chemicals I've decided to embrace it. Since my tank is fully cycled I started adding fish last week. I'm sure what I've done so far will work but I need some advice on levels and additions.

I currently have 3 peppered cories and 4 male guppies.

I want to add 4-6 more male guppies (I'm not interesed in breeding)

marbled hatchetfish (how many?)

blue dwarf gourami (can I only have 1?)

and albino cories ( I was thinking 2 or 3)

I'm also looking for ideas other than the blue dwarf for my "centerpiece" fish.

What does everyone think?

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Too many males will lead to fighting, so I wouldn't get any more than you already have. Have you checked the pH requirements for those fish. South american fish tend to like a lower pH, though many can adjust to a higher pH. 7.6 shouldn't be a problem.

I would get at least 6 corys. Some say less, though most will agree more than 2 or 3. Also, IMO it's best to stick to one species. I think they act and look better that way. Yes, just 1 dwarf gourami - unless you can find a female.

8. brokenwing Well Known Member Member

Hey vanity

:;hi2
    I am brand new to this site, and so i have been reading alot of posts, and ran into a member that advised someone else on this website when trying to select fish. It is pretty cool. check it out an let me know what you think.
    http://www.aqadvisor.com

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Just a quick note, before replying on stocking and compatability charts, please read this very important sticky:
    Stocking Tools

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed. It's a great tool to help understand the limitations of your tank/filter, but should not be a replacement for research.